Dacron Tape

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Dacron Tape

Post by jowall » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:11 pm

I loaned a foil trainer kite to someone who returned it in less than perfect condition. It's fun to have around, so I was wondering where to find dacron tape. Will the local shops have it in March or do I need to go to a sail shop??

I'm thinking of taping on both sides of the fabric and putting tape in the same place on the opposite side to keep the weight balanced.

-John

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:20 pm

Local shops don't usually carry it, try a local sail shop or get it online:

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/Store_Pages/Tape.html

http://www.intothewind.com/cgi-bin/deta ... iteria=ALL

You can also try your local West Marine store - Point Richmond, Oakland or Alameda

bhsu24
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bhsu24 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:13 am

West Marine Stores carry this type of sail repair tape. its used to repair spinnakers. they usually carry several colors. works very well in repairing small tears in kites. Make sure the repair is very clean and dry before applying the tape or it wont last very long.
Bryan

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:06 am

Great links Ollie.

I paid $1 for the adhesive dacron and picked up a kite for my son. He's got to have some fun when dad's on the water...

John

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:55 pm

Any marine chandlery.
Svendsen's
West Marine
Boat USA

Get the Bainbridge Sailcloth repair tape (appox $6 to $9 depending on the store) Other brands use an inferior glue. Be sure to tape both sides if your can.

It helps to do one side with scotch tape first to line it all up then use sail tape on the opposite side and finally remove scotch tape and then add sail tape.

And of course there is always duct tape! My casual friend has been playing with a kite repaired with duct tape for a year. Looks like hell and is heavier but it works...