Finally got to ride new Windwing Outrages

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:17 pm

dewey wrote:Ollie you went with the windwings??? I saw that you are running their ad.
Yes, they looked interesting to me so I got a quiver of the Rage II's with the CC bar. I got an 8, 10, 12 and 14 and briefly flew the 12 in hard-line mode and then the 14m in underpowered conditions with the CC bar and SAFE bridle. Initial impressions are good, but I haven't had enough time on any of them yet to get a complete impression. Hopefully I will soon!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 pm

I'd love to hear your review!!! Why not the outrage??
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:26 pm

dewey wrote:I'd love to hear your review!!! Why not the outrage??
I was on the verge of ordering the Outrages, but they seemed hugely high-aspect. Awesome for lots of lift and hangtime, but I decided to go with the mod-aspect as that's what I've come to like more over the last year. They tend to have more low-end, turn more on their axis and tend to fly a bit more stable. Just what I gotten used to I suppose, although I do still have (and like) a couple of high-aspect kites in bigger sizes.

Kiteboardstud25
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardstud25 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:59 am

I thought they looked super high aspect also from the pictures but putting them next to my X3's they don't look nearly as high aspect. I want to still fly the rage 2 though and see how they compare.

wavie gravie

windwing

Post by wavie gravie » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:26 pm

=D> just back from barbados. Was on my 21 nemi most often. Big waves and light wind.

I tried the new 17m Rage 2 one day for 2 hours. light winds. quick flier and easy re-launch. Nice kite, and very stable. But years of High AR (naish arx's, x's and Best Nemi's) It was a bit different than used to.

Good construction and and great de-power (although I was never able to get the SAFE system to work, it re-launched easy enough anyway. I set up the safe BALL incorrectly looping it as shown...it's wrong on the directions) Anyway, I think I may need to try the outrage, since my quiver is all high AR.
the cc bar works great
The guys at the 800 number are awesome and always helpful. All in all a great buy.

hard line lengths

Post by guest » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:33 pm

i had trouble with getting the safe system to work so i just started flying these hardline. i did find that there was way too much rear line slack, so i took the short pigtails for the safe leading edge attachments, and added them to the front line pigtails. also, at the bar, i used the tightest knot on the rear lines. after both of these somewhat extreme measures, i find that the kites are now well trimmed. if i have the trim strap set to max power i can overtrim a couple inches, which means i still have a huge range of depower. this setting has worked in both light and overpowered conditions. i did find the kites easily overflew the window when at neutral in funky winds and can somewhat easily drop from the sky--maybe i was just spoiled by my old kites. so it's good to have the option of oversheeting to keep them back in their place.

Kiteboardstud25
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardstud25 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:21 pm

sounds like still something is wrong. Figure the SAFE system out becasue that is the way to go with these kites.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:23 am

Yes, you will surely want to get your SAFE bridles dialed in. Without them, you are sacrificing much of what the kites are about. Once you have them on and dialed in, you'll be happy you took the time.

Post by guest » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:46 pm

i don't know, i am pretty sure i had them rigged right. when i pulled them by hand they operated correctly. but it seemed like there was so much friction on the line inside the sleave, which is compressed by the batten, that the system wouldn't engage in normal conditions. the guys at windwing said that this is by design and that it only engages in very overpowered conditions, and they usually fly them hardline. i was fully powered, so if the system doesn't engage in that condition then it's just for freak emergencies.

does it engage for you in normal conditions when you simply push the bar away? when i have a chance i am going to try putting the line outside the sleave to see if that makes it more responsive, but i haven't had the time to play with this yet--i wanted a setup so the kites just work.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:24 am

I didn't notice the resistance you're mentioning, but again I didn't really pull the lines back and forth so much to check. I just rigged them, verified that they were right and was good to go:

http://www.windwing.com/kiteboardinginstructions

Everything seemed to work well for me and the bridle system surely came into play as during my last session I was juiced on the 12, others were on 10's and 8's so something's working.