san fran geography help

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
san fran geography help

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:03 am

potentially moving to san fran for work and be put up in marina area. how close are the kiting areas? also someone was telling me that there are great whites off the coast and occasionally come in the bay- true?

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:54 am

Marina is potentially right in the middle of all the kiting areas in the Bay Area. You are closest to Crissy field but you are an easy drive to many other spots. Just check out the locations link on this site. As for great whites yes it is a fact that they are present in the ocean and it is a risk you take. However when you are kiting you are on top of the water. Sharks only go after surfers because they look like seals because of the wetsuit. Stay above the water. As far as inside the bay I don't remeber there ever being one alive in the Bay the whole time I have lived here. The bay is too polluted for them to want to swim in. Oh and by the way. Welcome to the Bay Area!! 8)

Donna
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Donna » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:00 pm

Heard a couple of tales from fishermen about sharks in the Bay, but doubt if they were Great Whites. Never heard of an attack in the Bay. You'll love it here. Welcome.
Donna

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:19 pm

There are tiger sharks in the bay, but they are small and don't attack people. If you live in the Marina, there are many places to kite with travel times to get to the spots at anywhere between 15 minutes and an hour and a half. Check the locations page here:

https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/forum-23.html

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:12 pm

hey, i live in the marina as well; would love to meet up and kite some time. feel free to give me a call at 415.377.6416...

-- chris