March travel ideas

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
josha
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
March travel ideas

Post by josha » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:41 pm

So pretend for a second that it's early March, you've just finished a couple months of 6-day, overtime work weeks, and you want to go somewhere cheap with warm water and good wind for a week to kite your brains out. Where would you go?

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 pm

La Ventana is plenty windy in March but the water and air are way warmer than they are in Dec/Jan. Flights are cheaper, too, and there's usually hardly anyone there. I went in early March 2006 and the only day I didn't kite was because El Norte was blowing 45 mph and I didn't have a 7M kite with me.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

josha
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by josha » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:29 pm

That sounds tempting :)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:48 pm

Los Barilles, nearer the Los Cabos airport should not be overlooked either. The upside there is it's actually a town, has more amenities and a different scene than LV. The wind is great, the swell is good. An ideal trip to Baja may include a 50/50 split between the two locations maybe. They are both super fun.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:49 am

Ollie's got a good idea. For one thing, you can land at SJ del Cabo, drive to Los Barilles and get a session in the same day; La V is like another 2 hours drive. So if you stay in Los B. the first night or three, you'll get an extra half day of kiting in.

It's a bummer to drive into La V. after flying all day just in time for the wind to shut off, which it pretty much does every day around 4:30.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:06 am

Have you tried lovely ALameda? the oil signs are down! Over-looking the historic bay area, you will enjoy a 1 week visit to one of the most patriotic cities in california. Enjoy a plethora of restaurants and bars, lovely sunsets and go to sleep to the sound popluar rap tunes such as $.50, Jay-Z and other rap artists that use repetetive sounds to help you relax. During the late winter months you willalso get to enjoy the bay's own aurora borealis, aka smog, highlited by some ambulance lights in the background nothing compares.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:55 pm

I was thinking of Baja too, but its hard to convince my GF when we read stuff like this

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/read ... Num=207133

Especially the rape part. I've heard it better in La Ventana, but still.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Story after story - it's starting to appear that driving is just not worth it. Sure, many have gone down there via auto for years, but why take your chances?

josha
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by josha » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks for all the ideas! I have actually just considered taking a few days off and hanging locally, Yuri, but there is something to be said for kiting without a wetsuit and not getting hypothermia! :)

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Mexico has always had it's dangers..
The shakedown is old-skool...
Now'a dayz we just got more stuff :-$

Pays to lay real-low or travel in caravan's preparded to due business..
G3