Anyone kited Lake Michigan??

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Anyone kited Lake Michigan??

Post by glenn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 am

Just throwing this one out there. I have a free flight to Chicago and want to get some Great Lake action in the windy city! From what I've read, I'm stoked because the wind gets rippin this time of year and the waves apparently get pretty big also. I know it seems strange to say waves on Lake Michigan but that lake is so huge it makes the Bay look like a mud puddle. It also seems like I should be equipt with the full quiver for Fall wind.

Any Great Lakes kiting experiences?

Thanks,
G

lacasaverde
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lacasaverde » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:10 am

Pack the warmest wetsuit you got. Not only is the water cold, but those winds in ChiTown make it absolutely frigid. I'm not sure what you're going to find in Chicago, however about a 3 hour ride to the north into Michigan is South Haven. HUGE BEACHES and you may find a few souls enjoying the waves too. You can also check in with the Broneah boys in Traverse City who may have more info on Chicago area KBing. Have fun & stay warm!
It ain't easy being greene.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 am

never kited, but back in the day I windsurfed there in pre-frontal wind that was gusting over 40mph. The waves were big like head high. It was unbelievable, and i got my ass kicked. This was in michigan city near the dunes.

josha
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by josha » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:53 am

I've surfed off the beach at Northwestern in Evanston (far closer than Michigan). The south beach is actually a popular windsurfer spot, and boy do I wish I kited when I went to school there :)

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 pm

I ice fished there as a kid, we drove right out on the lake, right off lake shore drive in Chicago. That place can be brutally cold in the winter (like lacasaverde said). The fall weather there was nice, definitely my favorite season. Sounds like your gonna have a blast :).
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:13 am

Have you guys heard about Montrose Beach in Chicago? It's the only kiting beach in the City and has strict regs for kiting. I guess the wind is somewhat onshore and upwind skills are essential. They also had problems in the past so now all kiters must be IKO or PASA certified to kite there. In order to kite, you have to show your cert cards and get a streamer for your kite. Each streamer is color coded for your cert level and also whether or not you purchased kiting insurance!! (sorry Kev, pirate flags don't count). supposedly, there are only 5 guest streamers available at the shack.
I don't know if it's possible to get the certs on short notice without wasting a half day of good wind - I might be driving up the lake shore to find a little dirt parking lot or an overgrown beach to remind me of home.

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Wow, what a pain in the ass. Just show the guy a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee and I bet you'll be certified before you can pump up your kite. Send Pictures!
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.

lacasaverde
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lacasaverde » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:58 pm

As Ramsey says, Michigan City is a stone's throw from ChiTown and I highly doubt you're gonna run into the streamer police. Good luck.
It ain't easy being greene.

glenn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by glenn » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:02 pm

thanks bros.