If i use fix-flat-to repair my kite...

Local weather resources and topics.
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:54 am

Hmm, you don't ever hear anyone saying they miss their hand-crank manual windows in their car... leather seats, a/c, power windows, why would anyone want all that? :-k

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:28 am

so, i've thought about doing this a long time ago, before I got one-pump kites . . .

Why can't you just modify a pump to have 6 tubes coming out of it? Connect each tube to a strut and one to the LE and voila! one pump!

of course, you'd have to make sure all your tubes seal well so nothing is leaking while you go around and close all the valves, but that doesn't seem so hard.

and for those of you who complain about struts being too soft-- then just connect 5 tubes to the struts, pump them up. then connect one tube to the LE, pump that up, and voila! Two pump!

am I smart or what?!

even better-- connect all tubes to struts and LE, pump up so the LE is hard, then, clamp off the LE tube, and keep pumping until the struts are hard. seems like it would work right? what am I missing here?

since I've got one pump kites, any of you out there want to be my first customer? I swear I've got all the parts i need lying around the office here.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:21 am

If its what it sounds like you are trying to say, that is how north does it. I havent really had anyproblems until now, and i use my gear a lot. I only fly that one kite really. I cant complain about breaking something once a season when you ride it 150 days a year.

But it does make me see the beauty in the simple design of a no 1/2 pump system.

but i wonder how long it will be before the struts are completely discarded in exchange for super flexible battens. Like that space age stuff you hear about that has a memory. It is as stiff as carbon when extended but can bend like a spring. I guess those 2 requirements contradict eachother too much to be a reality. But someday! Maybe i should start flying peter lynns and blades again.

All I know is if i got a non 1/2 pump kite, i would get an electric pump for sure. It is much easier to hold the kite with one hand as you stick the nozzle in than trying to lift the pump after that 1st stroke to top it off.

zgur
Resident
Resident

Yup

Post by zgur » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:17 am

Dave,

Yup, for now I still have 2 vegases w/2 pump.......hate it....on 14m, the Tvallve hosed me, and I basically made the strut an old fashion one that you have to inflate by itself.......can't wait to swap em' for the 2008......

I don't mean to bag on "advancement" of technology, Ollie.... I'm just practical when it comes to solving problems that don't exist, ala one pump....if it's not broke, don't fix it.....I think that engineering should be focused on making better bars, w/easier to replace parts, and better flying kites......stop w/the 'marketing based' solutions......who wants to spend any time dealing w/bladders and hoses???? (nurses need not reply)

As I was pumping up my individual struts the other day somewhere on the west/south of where I live, I was reminded how much I love simple design.....not only did I know that no rubber hose is going to keep me from playing in good waves, but I also got a few seconds more to see how the waves are lining up........

I don't care what kite you fly/board youride/car you drive, as long as you........Get some, Z.....and then share the stoke......

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:26 am

I'm hesitant...

But I agree with you Z, although SS does have a nice system. I never had a problem with them before, but i suppose if i did I would be just as frusterated with replacing a LE bladder with 5 nipples-kinky huh?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:47 pm

It's easy to get spoiled by new tech stuff to make your life easier and/or more comfortable. As long as my One-Pump's keep pumping, I'm good. Sometimes there's not an urgent need for an improvement but when you have it, it's nice.

Gonna get some today!

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:23 pm

I like to pump..
god made me, to PumP,somethinG..
when i pump all my bladders on the 06 vegas
i get to inspect and feel for problums on each bladder.
with my rhino its so detached..

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:23 pm

Charlie, that was funny.

So did anyone else have fun today flying their kites such that the shadow was right over the mervyn's male models :) I only did it a few times since they obvioulsy werent appreciating it.

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:44 pm

lol, I did.....
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.