Spots to Kite & Camp?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Spots to Kite & Camp?

Post by jjm » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:06 pm

Hey,

Any recommendations for a nice spot that would be fun to camp at, and kitable within say 5 hours drive of the Bay Area during the summer?
By fun, something where there are activities to keep wife and/or friends interested -- hiking, fisihing, biking, etc.
Have tried to get them revved up about kiting but it just isn't working.

I'm most interested in hearing about beginner friendly spots, but maybe the thread could cover more advanced spots for other's interests!

What is there to do for people not involved in water sports at Sherman Island?

- Josh

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:11 pm

At Sherman they could watch people kite, but it's not really beginner friendly. Isn't there a lake in Reno?? I think it's Washoe or something like that. Last year they said it was dry, but I'm sure there will be water this year. Sounds like the perfect place( when there's water)
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Hmm, places to kite with camping. There are some coastal areas, but maybe not necessarily beginner-friendly. Sherman Island doesn't allow camping, but on occasion some pitch a tent in the bushes and lay low, but you probably wouldn't want to go that route with your family. As far as other activities at Sherman for the family to do while you're kiting, I don't know that there's too much. No hiking or biking, maybe fishing, but it's kinda windy there. :roll: Not so hot for fishing. Dewey is right about Washoe in NV. The Gorge in Oregon would be an option, but it's more than 5 hours drive. There's Lake Berryessa which has camping, fishing, boating, and it tends to get windy there in the afternoons although I don't know if people kite there. Overall, that's a good question you have there!

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:34 am

I was browsing www.kitebeaches.com and 2 locations looked promising and made me remember this thread.
Has anyone visited:
Eagle Lake
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/ ... hp?id=1246

After Bay
http://www.kitebeaches.com/kitebeaches/ ... hp?id=1672

-John

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:06 pm

Cool give them a try. Let us know what conditions are like. I think one of the guys that use this forum kites in Chico. Put it out there.
Dewey