Driving Risks in Baja

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Driving Risks in Baja

Post by OliverG » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:28 pm

This sounds pretty damn scary - not sure I'm interested in driving to Los Barilles!

http://www.surfline.com/surfnews/surfwire.cfm?id=10923

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja- ... alert.html

Sure, the chances may be slim... but as an alternative you can save a total of four days driving time by getting a cheap flight and a car and not risk dealing with a potentially very dangerous situation.

Driving would eat up four days of time, the cost of fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle, possible breakdowns, accidents or flats. By flying you leave in the morning and are on the beach in the afternoon with no worries...

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:55 pm

Unless they lose your luggage. BTW, the airlines don't consider La Ventana part of "Cabo", so they will not even attempt to deliver your luggage. You have to wait around for it.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Damn :shock: That first one may be scarier than that shark story!
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by airess » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:33 pm

fly into La Paz, i haven't checked recently, but last year there were 2 carriers, Alaska and Delta, that flew non-stop from LAX getting into LAP at 2pm. i fly southwest to LAX, cheap, lots of options and you can change days/flights w/o penalties. (i fly from sacramento, which i heard was supposed to get a NS flight into La Paz, however, this year i am driving with bruce, so your stories are a little scary, but bruce never drives in Baja at night, too dangerous) and oli, you are right, silly to waste 4 days driving

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:40 pm

um. HOLY CRAP!

wtf?!

yeah, it makes sense to fly if you're going to ventana, but for punta san carlos (where they were going), driving is your only option.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:09 pm

F-That!

Got our 3rd random black guy on a bike looking for a job today that stole something from my shop. I bought a security system and have the whole thing on video but what does it do for me, nothing!!! Now you cant even go on a road trip to get away from this crap? I would love to get paid by the government to snipe these fools! HK PSG-1, never leave home without it!