Where to borrow trainer kites? Where to find shallow water?

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
TomAUSTRIA
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Where to borrow trainer kites? Where to find shallow water?

Post by TomAUSTRIA » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:37 pm

Hello,

a friend of mine wants to learn kitesurfing. Therefore I would like to show him the basics with a trainer kite on land. Is there a place where he could just rent a trainer kite or does he need to buy one?

Can you recommend a spot with shallow water where it is possible to teach things like body drag and water start? I have heard Alameda is quite good, but the school which is located there does not tolerate beginners.

tom

super_monkey
Regular
Regular

Post by super_monkey » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:02 am

It's not a matter of lack of tolerance, they will be the first ones to help you out. However, you have to understand that they are running a business there so doing freelance right under their nose is not exactly appreciated. It doesn't change the fact that you can instruct your friend if you wish, they just might give you a cold shoulder. I think KWS in Alameda rents trainers and you can fly it right on the beach.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:42 pm

as for the land flying, you could go to the mudflats at 3rd, just make sure you're well out of the way of the kiters launching (the mudflats are pretty big so you should be OK).

as for your second question, you're pretty much completely out of luck. i hate to say it, but your friend is better off paying the money for a jetski lesson. if your friend doesn't want to spend $400 on lessons, I have trouble imagining him spending $2k on gear afterward.

A long time ago, I used to teach my friends, but I quickly learned that the friends who didn't want to spend money on lessons were a waste of time to teach, because they weren't committed. And the friends who did spend the money learned an awful lot faster and now are some of my best kite buddies.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets