Naish kite questions?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Moderators: WindMuch, BayAreaKite

Naish kite questions?

Postby jjm » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:24 pm

Just bought a new 2004 V4, and had some questions.[hr]
Image

Was wondering if anyone knew what this is for? At first I thought it was some way of combining two pieces of line, or that I got extension sets for one of four lines, but after taking a closer look at the manual, it is shown in the diagrams -- but not described.

Just curious if anyone knew what this is for? I'm guessing it has something to do with the V-strap orientation? Is it required, and if so, does that mean I need to purchase Naish specific lines if I need to replace them in the future?[hr]

Image
It's kind of hard to tell with this picture, but the strap is looped one rotation. Pictures in the manual(s) (the one that came with kite, the PDF below) seem to show a velcro attachment running through the harness bar. Doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I'm missing something?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, but feeling helpful, link to the
Naish 4 Line Manual

Thanks!
Josh
User avatar
jjm
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:58 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby jjm » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:30 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention that the line with the tube piece I believe connects to the right hand side of the kite, and the part of the buckle is connected to the leash which runs up to the V straps. It seems it should get connected to the harness bar...
User avatar
jjm
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:58 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:34 pm

That piece of plastic is the leash limiter. What happens is if you release the kite and the safty leash engages the bar will bot go all the way to the kite yet the kite gets safely depowered. This way you can get back to your bar easier. Otherwise the bar would go all the way up to the kite and could damage your kite. That other clip goues on yur harness. You clip the safety into there. I am a four year Naish kiter so I know mre then I should about their gear.

One thing to note is that Naish kites usually need some adjustment on their stock line rigging. Try the kite with the out of the bag rigging but you may need to make adjustments to the front or back line lengths. If you fly the kite and it feels funny you probably need to make adjustments. Don't think that you got a bad kite. The V4 is an awsome kite with a lot of low end and range. Naish kites just need to have the bar and lines rigged exactly right to fly correctly. :)
Guest
 

Postby jjm » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:50 pm

Anonymous wrote:That piece of plastic is the leash limiter. What happens is if you release the kite and the safty leash engages the bar will bot go all the way to the kite yet the kite gets safely depowered. This way you can get back to your bar easier. Otherwise the bar would go all the way up to the kite and could damage your kite. That other clip goues on yur harness. You clip the safety into there. I am a four year Naish kiter so I know mre then I should about their gear.

One thing to note is that Naish kites usually need some adjustment on their stock line rigging. Try the kite with the out of the bag rigging but you may need to make adjustments to the front or back line lengths. If you fly the kite and it feels funny you probably need to make adjustments. Don't think that you got a bad kite. The V4 is an awsome kite with a lot of low end and range. Naish kites just need to have the bar and lines rigged exactly right to fly correctly. :)


Hey thanks. So now the stopper piece makes sense, I just kinda imagined the red piece with the two ball ends was it, but now I think I see how it works.

As far as making adjustments to the line lengths, is this done by choosing the proper settings on the leader lines and kite attachment points?
User avatar
jjm
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:58 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby bdawg » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:51 pm

Yeah I am just agreeing with the last post. I am not sure about the whole line length thing but i'm guessing you wouldn't really know the difference as you have never flown a big kite yet.

The first picture. That piece should ideally be up the line the same distance as the linear length of the leading edge of your kite.

the second picture is the saftey strap quick release. There should be a female end to that going to the center/front lines.


How much begging did you have to do to get a new kite jjm?


Blair
User avatar
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: sacramento

Postby jjm » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:22 pm

bdawg wrote:Yeah I am just agreeing with the last post. I am not sure about the whole line length thing but i'm guessing you wouldn't really know the difference as you have never flown a big kite yet.

The first picture. That piece should ideally be up the line the same distance as the linear length of the leading edge of your kite.

the second picture is the saftey strap quick release. There should be a female end to that going to the center/front lines.


How much begging did you have to do to get a new kite jjm?


Blair


Hey Blair!

So if I need to buy new lines, will Naish lines already have the stopper installed?

As far as the quick release goes, how does it attach to the harness bar? It doesn't look like the diagram in the manual that came with the kite.
Other than inserting the strap loop into the ends of the bar, and looping the buckle through, how is it supposed to attach?
Either I have the wrong part, or I'm totally not getting it.

I had to do a fair amount of begging, but I think I got a pretty decent deal on the kite ($800), and didn't want to pass it up. Not too thrilled about the color scheme (Orange), but at least it will be easy to spot :) So I had to promise to unglue myself from the BAK/ebay/ikitesurf classifieds.

Still need to get a board, harness, and helmet.

Have a friend of a friend who gives lessons out at Bodega, so will either try to hook up with him, or give Nat a call in the Spring. Hopefully I'll be seeing you at Sherman this summer!

- Josh
User avatar
jjm
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:58 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby bdawg » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:40 pm

I don't think the stopper will be installed as the lines could be used on a 6m kite or a 20m kite. It is something that i think you should install. In the picture it looks like it is already installed. Was your kite complete with bar and the lines? I think (someone help me out here) that it may be already set up for you to ride.

The leash attachment i think you can just loop through the hook.

Here's the deal. You are getting lessons. Show the kite to your trainer and tell that person hey help me set up my kite. The person is usually willing to do it for you because they want to make sure your gear is safe and set up correctly.

I have a crappy harness that i will sell you for $20. I will be honest and tell you it isn't that comfy but it is a harness. It might fit you too.

Blair
User avatar
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: sacramento

Postby jjm » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:57 pm

The kite was complete, and everything is pre-rigged, including the stopper. It was more of a hypothetical question if I want to buy new lines in the future. Of course, after you pointing out that they would have to sell lines specific to kite size, I guess it would be better posed as "Do Naish kite lines include the plastic tubing and sheath for the line to rig the stopper.".

I will definitely try to have an instructor watch over me setting up the kite (either for the lesson, or post lesson). I was more interested in finding out if I got all the right parts. As I kind of mentioned earlier, the outside packaging says 20+7m lines, but the inside packaging says 27m. Also, the kite didn't have a pump in the bag. The salesperson was going to give me one of the handpumps that came from a smaller Boxer, and was saying that the Naish kites all include the same pump. I ended up getting him to throw in a larger North pump for free, but the contents keep talking about the included "Big Pump". It looks like it would have taken 5 hours to pump it with the hand pump!

So I need to stop by BoardSports and possibly exchange a wetsuit I got for a size larger. Just want to save a trip if it turns out I've got some mixed up parts.

I have about a 34" waist, but my beer belly has been turning into a keg recently. If you think it will fit with a wetsuit, I'll buy it off you. PM me if you want to sell it, or if you have AIM you can find me with my profile here. As long as it doesn't have spikes, I think I can put up with some discomfort.

Thanks!
User avatar
jjm
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:58 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby bdawg » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:29 pm

what size did you end up getting? the v4 i mean
User avatar
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: sacramento

Postby jjm » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:39 pm

bdawg wrote:what size did you end up getting? the v4 i mean


Got a 12.
User avatar
jjm
Resident
Resident
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:58 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Next

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests