july in the northbay

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
willworkforwind
Joey
Joey
july in the northbay

Post by willworkforwind » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:10 pm

heya,
thanks in advance for any help.

heading into sonoma county to visit my family in july, learned to kite after i left norcal for the nw about maybe 9 years ago. what size kites should i bring for sf, 3rd, maybe waddel if i am feeling especially corageous? iknow, bring em all, right? i am 75kg, mid intermediate, 132 doyle tt.

whats the 411 on chrissy. i remember my first view of kiters ever, from a touristy walk across the ggb when we were visiting down there about 8 years ago. man, i have always wanted to tie up that circle and kite under the golden gate. the published data suggests extreme caution, knowledge of tides, etc. can a brotha just go down there and huck it? i mean seriously, how gnarly is it? :mrgreen:

thanks again,

jimmi

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:27 am

you want a 12-14 for 3rd, a 7-9 for waddell. so yes. bring them all.

crissy can be pretty gnarly yes. if you "huck it" and break down on an ebb tide, you'll likely be flushed out the gate, with the coast guard being your only chance. it's also a bit holey and gusty at times. with that said, people do kite there...it's not like it's a death trap or anything. on a SW day it's one of the better places around.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

mayhem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by mayhem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:50 am

Also, for Crissy you want to bring a thick wetsuit, cause the water is very cold there compared to 3rd.

Mayhem

willworkforwind
Joey
Joey

Post by willworkforwind » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:39 pm

thanks for the info men, i will see y'all next week.

seems like there is going to be a little party going on. . .

jimmi

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:20 pm

I kited Chrissy for the first time on Saturday to prepare for the BA Comp. I would rather kite OB or Sherman any day (still haven't kited 3rd, if I'm gonna drive that far I just keep going, to Waddell).

The wind was fluky and holey, although it was blowing NW and I know it's better on SW days. It was flooding, so I couldn't get anywhere near the bridge, and the chop was crap. The water wasn't as cold as I expected; I didn't have booties but my feet didn't get numb anyway.

It is a good place to watch kiting, though. Sat. was a nice day and there were tons of people on the beach. Good place to put a big ramp.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:37 pm

Paul, for every day like the one you described, there is a magical one (or two) that will surprise you. Don't give up on Crissy Field-- it can deliver some of the finest conditions available in NorCal. You need to seek out the optimal water/wind combo for each session however, which may take you FAR from the parking lot. Thus, not for beginning or timid riders. Best left for the advanced intermediates, etc. which should be you!
Go bigga'

Endlestorm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Endlestorm » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:06 pm

I've kited Crissy about a dozen times now. What conditions do you look for on the comp before heading there to find one of the most magical days? Strong ebb, fog just outside the gate?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:16 pm

Bingo. Then, select your favorite swell location by making a few "full passes". By then, you will feel the flava' and it will cast it's spell...

Try your directional there in the big swell and laugh out loud as you pass under the bridge in just a few reaches. Can be KILLER, really.
Go bigga'