Ozone Demo in Tahoe MLK weekend

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
KillaHz
Resident
Resident
Ozone Demo in Tahoe MLK weekend

Post by KillaHz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:43 pm

Ozone is coming to town again this weekend. Jan 15 - 17th.

Our mountains have received 20 feet of snow in the last two weeks. The wind has been really strong (which we need in snow like this) and is looking a bit more steady for this weekend. Forcasted are some wind directions that should allow us to ride right in town.

The Ozone kites will be out for demo again this weekend. Don't miss this free opportunity to get an introduction to the Tahoe snow kite scene and a ride on the 2005 Ozone Frenzy.

The hotel of choice for this weekend is going to be Motel 6 (530) 542-1400
Map:
http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Ty ... mZ46L5Ht0-

The Block Hotel www.blockattahoe.com has a couple of rooms left but not enough to block out a section. Contact them soon if you want to stay down town
Last edited by KillaHz on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Where are you planning on kiting? I may head up for the day on Saturday and would like to kite but I will just go to Sierra at Tahoe if not. Let me know.

TheRob

tahoe snow kiting

Post by TheRob » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:41 pm

i am down for this saturday. where is it most likely going to be? should i bring my inflatables, or will there be plenty of kites to borrow all day?
later,
rob

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:24 pm

We will all meet at the Meyers Chevron again at 10:30 on Sat. We will caravan out to what ever spot is happening. Sunday will be the same deal.

I would bring your kites as we had a lot of people show for the last demo and while everyone gets a chance to ride the gear if they want, you won't have something to ride for the entire day.

It's dumping up here right now should be clear by the weekend. It is shaping up to be a very good kiting weekend.

See you here.
Gabe Brown

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:45 pm

is it OK to come if we don't have a snow kite, I have a harness I can use but my kite is a little too big and fragile for snow I think. also what is the best way to get there from I-80 East coming from the coast?

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:13 pm

RobsterCraw wrote:is it OK to come if we don't have a snow kite, I have a harness I can use but my kite is a little too big and fragile for snow I think. also what is the best way to get there from I-80 East coming from the coast?
I think you're most likely going to want to come up 50 to get to south shore. I drove down to the last Ozone tour from north shore/Truckee and it was a good hour or so, and that was back when there was no snow.

Driving east on 80, you'd want to get on 50 (East?) in Sacramento (i.e. stay in the left lanes, not the right), and keep heading towards South Lake Tahoe. I believe Meyers is about 5 or so minutes south of South Lake Tahoe. Bonus, I think the Chevron would be on the left of the highway as you're driving into Meyers.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:35 pm

RobsterCraw wrote:is it OK to come if we don't have a snow kite, I have a harness I can use but my kite is a little too big and fragile for snow I think. also what is the best way to get there from I-80 East coming from the coast?
In deep snow, you want a pretty big kite. It is fine to come without a kite but you won't be able to demo the Ozones for the entire day. Depending on turnout, you will probably get about a half our to hour on the Ozones each day.

From I80 E, in Sacramento take I50 E. Stay on that until you come down the pass into Meyers. The first gas station on your left is Chevron.
Gabe Brown

RobsterCraw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RobsterCraw » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:33 pm

my kites a 12m infaltable, I'll bring it but I try to stay on the safe side, I don't wanna get lofted into trees and such, so I don't mind only getting a little time in. I'll try to be there!

How many people do you expect?

TheRob

snowkite

Post by TheRob » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:04 am

is everything still going as planned? should i bring all the kites? 7.5, 10, 12 and 16?
later,
rob

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: snowkite

Post by KillaHz » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:50 am

TheRob wrote:is everything still going as planned? should i bring all the kites? 7.5, 10, 12 and 16?
later,
rob
It's still on. Here's the deal for Saturday. For those who would like to just meet for the demo, go to the Chevron in Meyers at 10:30. The group will leave from there.

If you would like to grab some breakfast and find out the deal for the weekend, go to Ernies on Hwy 50 at 9:00. It is on the right just before you get to the Y.

Graham Sanders of Lake Tahoe Kiteboarding will be your host on Saturday and I will be joining you all on Sunday/Monday.

If you have any questions, call Graham at 530.544.3109.

See you up here.
Gabe Brown