what Wetsuit thinkness

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
aconti
what Wetsuit thinkness

Post by aconti » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:33 pm

I never been out in the Bay before.. What thickness of a wetsuit would I need to get? Thanks your help.

-A

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:12 pm

I would get a 4/3 and a shorty for the summertime. I use the 4/3 everywhere until about July and then warmer places like Alameda, 3rd or the Delta I start using my shorty.

If you want to kite at Crissy or the Coast, you will need a 4/3 year round.

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:05 pm

I'd like to add to aconti's question. Any brands to look at first?
What features (if any) do i want?
Has anyone bought over the internet?
I am skinny for my height 6' 155#. The size charts i have seen don't match my body specs. Am i screwed? Is inseam more important?
If i am putting down at least a benji would it be worth my while to invest in a dry suit?
At what point did I start asking too many questions?

thanks for the help.
Blair

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:02 pm

Brands - I like Neil Pryde, but all brands are pretty good.

Features - It just needs to keep you warm and comfortable. One thing to consider is smooth skin vs. nylon neoprene(non smooth skin). Smooth skin suits are warmer in windy conditions, but are less comfortable and less durable. I've always used nylon neoprene and rarely get cold so I prefer the comfort and durability of the nylon suits.

Internet - I've never done it, but would not recommend it. You should really try them on before you buy. Some suits just fit better than others and your suit needs to fit well in order to work properly.

Sizing - Many suit brands come in tall sizes. At 6 ft 155#, you would probably fit well in a Medium Tall suit.

Drysuit - Is a real luxury for cold water only. Very few people use them around here. I would not get one unless you plan to kite in very cold water.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:29 pm

Al's got it right. A 4/3 will take care of your needs 60% of the time and a 3/2/1 shorty or comparable will come in handy for those warmer days at Sherman, Alameda, etc.