question about kiteboarding outer banks, NC

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
hattem
Joey
Joey
question about kiteboarding outer banks, NC

Post by hattem » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:43 am

y'all
i'm thinking about spending a week kiteboarding the outer banks, North Carolina. some claim it's one of the best places for kiteboarding in the world.. is that true?
any advice on what specific spots, where to stay (for cheap), etc... and how about wind speeds in early to mid july - would that time be considered late season there?
thanks for your help
hattem

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:43 pm

Wind should be good theree now, check Ikite for the latest observations and the patterns over the last couple weeks. No recommendations on places to stay, but Hatteras and OBX are off the hook! You will not be disappointed...

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:29 pm

Never leave wind to find wind.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:28 pm

hattem, let me know how it is. I'll be there at the end of July vacationing with my folks. I've spent a lot of time there as a kid but not for wind sports. If you want to camp, there are a couple sites there. Otherwise in season it will cost you some bucks for a room.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

willworkforwind
Joey
Joey

Post by willworkforwind » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:02 pm

heya from the gorge,

hatteras is a great place to kite, summer brings sw winds that are warm, shallow flat water on pamlico sound, and 100yds away are some killer waves. and miles and miles and miles of downwinder potential.

summer is peak season; expect to pay top $ for lodging. we usually go just after labor day when the rental companies are falling over themselves to get you into one of a gazillion beach houses. off season, its cheaper to stay in a rental mansion than in a motel-go figure.

and remember: there are hurricanes in that area. we were chased off the obx by ophelia a few years back in september. the locals stuck around and had some great 6-8m sessions. :shock: an intereesting bit of travel trivia is that if you reserve a house before a storm is named, you MAY qualify for a refund if one blows through.

pm me if you have any questions. i am no travel agent but have been out there to kite a half-dozen times.

jimmi