Costa Rica info?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Costa Rica info?

Post by OliverG » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:19 pm

So, things are getting crazy now.... Looks like a early-to-mid December trip to Playa Copal in Costa Rica will be on the menu. Jeff at KiteWindSurf has some info on this Winter hot-spot with killer side-on winds, so I'm hoping he can hook us up with some nice digs and advice on the best (cheapest) way to fly. No crowds either, he says.

Check out Jeff's info on this spot here: www.kitewindsurf.com/store/travel.aspx

Has anyone been there? Any adviceon the best way to fly? Seems that on Expedia.com one can find flights to San Jose, CR for around $350, but if you want to fly to Liberia, which is closest to Playa Copal, it gets expensive - $800 or so, with a bunch of connecting flights...

Of course, if anyone has any recommendations for killer spot for this time, that is about as long to get to with killer wind, great tropical vibe and scenery and plenty to do with the wife also, any and all suggestions would be appreciated. :)

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:19 am

You're going there?! I am soooo jealous. And it's only a few miles farther to drive than LaVentana!
Go bigga'

kimedw
Joey
Joey

Post by kimedw » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:28 pm

Please keep me posted on Playa Copal. I plan to be there in the first week of january. Anyone know how windy it really gets? The smallest kite I have is a 12m. I'm guessing I need a 10m. Can I get away with that, or do I need an 8m also? I'm about 6'0", 175 lbs, finishing up my first season starting to go upwind. I feel like I don't need an 8m here in the bay so I'd rather do without if possible.

kimedw
Joey
Joey

Post by kimedw » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:30 pm

Anyone else gonna be there in the first week of January too? be cool to see some local friendly faces

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:52 pm

I'll be there from January 7-14, so it looks like I might miss you. Man, I am really looking forward to it. Jeff says the biggest kites around there are 14's and not as frequently used as 8,10 and 12. You will need a 10, and an 8 might not be a bad idea. It would come in handy in the future if you ever go to Sherman Island.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:15 pm

Quote from Jeff at KiteWindSurf, on location at Playa Copal, Costa Rica:

"Been riding 10's the last few days and at times lit out of my mind. You are going to jump higher here then you ever have before.

Jeff"

:shock: =D> :rolleyes: