My ideas for BAK.

News Messages which are displayed on the mainpage.
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
My ideas for BAK.

Post by bdawg » Wed May 26, 2004 10:23 am

Ollie I have a few ideas.
What about adding a page of equipment reviews. For instance I see a sweet deal on a used or new kite. I could look up reviews of the kite by the regulars and get a good idea if i want to buy it. Yes i have read your posting on the Best kites, but i am talking about a dedicated page. here is an example of what i am talking about albeit a different sport. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/

> what about a photo caption contest?

>what about being able to remove something from the buy/sell classifieds after it is sold. I'm thinking something similar to craigslist.???

>I'd like to see some beginner stuff. Like rigging examples, pully bar or chicken loop?, shackles, kiting handling tips. Does this make sense at all?

>This is kinda dumb so shooting me down won't hurt my feelings but what about "session journal" where you could keep a log of times you go out and conditions what gear you used. Maybe people you saw. Then come the end of the season we can say Damn Ollie got 130 days in with 200 sessions for those days. Maybe have the option to make it public or private. I don't know just an idea.

ok that is all i have for now.

Blair

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed May 26, 2004 7:36 pm

Blair,

Great ideas.

-Gear Reviews -I can try and come up with a review system similiar to the mtbr.com reviews. That site is excellent, and the review system is well thought out, so I'll see what we can do here.

- Photo Caption Contest - Another good idea. We can run some photos and see who comes up with the best caption based on the most votes. What does the winner get as a prize?

- Deleting classifieds - Currently, registered users have been for some time able to delete their ads. Guests cannot, perhaps it's best to set the classified forum so that only registered users can post classifieds ad, thus giving them the ability to delete them as well.

- Beginner-geared articles. Yes, this would be great. Much of this relies upon the contributions of site members. From the start, the intent of this site was to allow any and all to contribute content to make it a truly inclusive community site. Aside from the discussion forum, I do pretty much everything else to keep the site updated and current with new articles and information, so user's contributions would be a helpful addition to keep the site growing. By kiters for kiters is the idea, a lot of people visit and post, but very few contribute any content. This can include pictures, videos, reviews, stories, travel stories, etc.

- Journal Section - Cool idea, but may be difficult to implement. Would have to give that some thought...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll follow up on this soon and implement some of this stuff.

Ollie

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Thu May 27, 2004 8:18 am

thanks Ollie,

I know you are a very busy guy juggling many things so I hope i haven't burdened you with even more work.

I didn't know about the classifieds regarding members vs. guests. I do think it would be a good idea to make people join the site for using the classifieds here.

I don't know what the prize should be for the photo contest. I don't think you even need a prize. I would just like to read what people post. Hopefully get a good laugh out of it.

As far as beginner articles as soon as I have a few hours I was going to type up my experience with my lessons so i can add it to the stories section.

regarding the journal section I will ask my buddie (web design guy) about what it would take to impliment such a thing. So i'll get back to you on that.

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:33 pm

Ollie,
That is kick ass that you already put some of my ideas on the site. Thanks.

And to everyone out there if you have an idea let Ollie know because you can see he is willing and able to make changes/additions.

Keep it up Ollie, this site will be blowing up in no time.

Blair

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:35 pm

Ditto on the gear review idea! Trust the consumers to post their honest reviews and there's no advertising fall-out to worry about.

I'm also an avid mountain biker and frequently consult mtbr.com for opinions/equipment reviews. All-in-all they're valuable, but beware the "I love my new ______" tendency.

Now you just need more web traffic for a good and representative sample group.
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: My ideas for BAK.

Post by OliverG » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:32 pm

This is kinda dumb so shooting me down won't hurt my feelings but what about "session journal" where you could keep a log of times you go out and conditions what gear you used. Maybe people you saw. Then come the end of the season we can say Damn Ollie got 130 days in with 200 sessions for those days. Maybe have the option to make it public or private. I don't know just an idea.
Actually, I think that's a great idea and will implementing this shortly. We'll be implementing blogs, or weblogs, but in this case I guess you could call them klogs, right?

It will be calendar-based and will be pretty darn cool. All registered users will be able to create their own logs and post all their info to it with full control.

Ollie

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:35 pm

fearlu wrote:Ditto on the gear review idea! Trust the consumers to post their honest reviews and there's no advertising fall-out to worry about.

I'm also an avid mountain biker and frequently consult mtbr.com for opinions/equipment reviews. All-in-all they're valuable, but beware the "I love my new ______" tendency.

Now you just need more web traffic for a good and representative sample group.
Yes, this is still in place, I just took the links to it down as it didn't really take-off. (https://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/review/) This season should show more growth on the board, so it might be worth another try. I just didn't want it kind of dormant without many additions. What do Hello guys think?