Windwing Kites

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Windwing Kites

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:38 pm

With all the talk about the new Windwing kites (www.windexpress.com) and their direct model approach going about, I've been trying to get some solid info on the kites and how they perform. So far, the only review I've found is one at kite-surf.com and it's for the 12m Rage 2, which is favorbale, but who knows if the source is biased or not. I don't know if I'm interested in the Rage II's or the Outrage, it'd be nice to get some feedback.

Anyway, the Best 3 for 2 deal is over and it will probaly come back again, although some have claimed it won't. Who really knows? Without the 3 for 2 deal, the Windwing deal is atrractive, but it ends soon also on the 1st of the New Year, but they'll still offer a deal on two kites rather than three after that.

Has anyone seen any posts anywhere from people who currently have them? Dewey, have you received yours? At this point, I think it's too early to know much about the new models, but I imagine folks will start getting them about now, or shortly anyway...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:42 pm

P.s. For comparison purposes, I've found that my Yargas tend to cut upwind better than my Nemesis, which is a 16. The Yargas are all 13.5 and smaller.

It's possible the same holds true with the Outrage and Rage II. In general, has anyone else determined that the mid-aspect kites generally tend to be better upwind performers than their high-aspect counterparts?

Also, it seems that Best still has the 3 for 2 deal on all 2004 kites until supplies of the 2004 kites run out....

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:23 pm

Maybe partially off topic, but Real Kiteboarding seems to have buy 2 get 2 for Best kites. They don't much details on the specifics (2004 Nemesis only?), but the deal runs through Jan 2nd.

---

When REAL ClosesÖ.YOU WIN !!!!!!!

REAL kiteboarding will be closed for the holidays from December 24th through January 2nd. We will re-open at 9am on January 3rd, 2005.

Our BUY ONLINE Holiday Super Sale will begin December 26th and run through January 2nd. Take advantage of unbelievable post-holiday pricing on REAL Camps, Gear, Clothing and more ! This sale is Buy Online Only and all orders must be received by January 2nd to qualify for Holiday Super Sale Pricing.

All purchases must be made ONLINE by January 2nd.
All specials and pricing are limited to in stock items only.
Orders will be processed on a first come first served basis.
The BUY ONLINE Holiday Super Sale ends 11:59pm Jan 2nd.
All orders placed during this sale will be shipped or booked on January 3rd, 2005.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:19 pm

Ollie I'll be getting my kites tomorrow. I won't be able to check them out until Sunday. New Years stuff is getting in the way. I hope this rain stops. I want to at least pump them up and put them in the air. I start the new job on Tuesday, so who knows when I'll really get to try them out.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:55 pm

jjm wrote:Maybe partially off topic, but Real Kiteboarding seems to have buy 2 get 2 for Best kites. They don't much details on the specifics (2004 Nemesis only?), but the deal runs through Jan 2nd.
I saw that deal at Real, but like you said they list virtually no specifics at all. What I could gather is that if buy two of the most expensive ones, the other smaller sizes are free? Not really sure if they mean you have to buy the two biggest sizes, or if, for example, you buy a 14 and a 12, you get a 10 and an 8 free. If anyone's interested, you better call to see exactly what it is.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:03 am

dewey wrote:Ollie I'll be getting my kites tomorrow. I won't be able to check them out until Sunday. New Years stuff is getting in the way. I hope this rain stops. I want to at least pump them up and put them in the air. I start the new job on Tuesday, so who knows when I'll really get to try them out.
Looking forward to hearing your initial feedback. You got the Outrage or the Rage II. I'll check your previous posts. What's this about a new job? And what's this about all your sampling as of late of wine and scotch? I enjoy and a scotch now and then, on and off, and just recently bought a sampling of 6 50ml bottles of various single malts. It consisted of a Glenkichie Lowland 10yr., a Craggaonmore Speyside Highland 12yr., a Dalwhinnie Speyside 15yr., an Oban West Highland 14 yr., a a Talisker Skye 10 yr., and a Lagavulin Islay 16 yr.

Tiny bottles, but they still last a while, a very nice single malt sampling indeed!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:36 am

Good job on the scotch. Well since I left Alameda season before last I have been working in the wine industry. I' ve been taking classes and in Sept. I passed the Sommelier exam. I've gone through at least 1000 diffrent wines in class not to mention the self study program. I also had to learn about spirits and cigars. I realized that I like to drink. Single malts are my favorite, but I still love the Gin, Burbon, Vodka, and many other distilled drinks. I'm leaving my koosh job at the winery to make some money. Southern Wine and Spirits hired me to work in Costco to explain the higher end wines to people. The money is pretty good, but I'll have to work 5 days a week. Maybe I can kite after work, and on Sundays and Mondays.
Dewey

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:38 am

I'm getting the outrage. I like the boost thing, and my favorite kite now is my GXR (high aspect)
Dewey

Kiteboardstud25
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardstud25 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:47 am

Just got a quiver of the outrages. Flew the 17 on land, but haven't tried them on water yet, need some wind! Anyways the construction on the kites seem awesome but the safe system seems weird and I think it is going to take some time to get used to. Also got the cc safe bar and it definately different from what I am used to with the pully part. Hopefully I like these better than my x3's. Will give a better review once I actually get to ride them.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:25 pm

Kiteboardstud25 wrote:Just got a quiver of the outrages. Flew the 17 on land, but haven't tried them on water yet, need some wind! Anyways the construction on the kites seem awesome but the safe system seems weird and I think it is going to take some time to get used to. Also got the cc safe bar and it definately different from what I am used to with the pully part. Hopefully I like these better than my x3's. Will give a better review once I actually get to ride them.
Yes, the bar setup with the pulley does indeed look different as I saw it on the Windwing video (http://207.158.235.32/Videos/Windwing%20promomedium.mov), it looks like as you sheet out the bar, the amount it sheets out is exponential or compounded by the pulley, giving a 2:1 ratio or something like that. So sheet out 4 inches and it effectivevely sheets out 6 or 8 or something. I'm not totally clear on how it works though, because I know from other kites I've had, you get to a point where it's of no use to sheet out any further. But I imagine with the bridle system, it counteracts that and is tilting the kite, not just creating slack in the back lines. Keep us posted on your Outrages.