Can anyone give me info on Cape Hatteras

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
dakine1
Regular
Regular

Post by dakine1 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:31 pm

would love any info anyone has on cape hatteras.....best time to go, where to fly into and best places to stay????????? It looks like a kick ass place to go.......

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:00 pm

I'm going back East for a wedding this summer and spending a week down there. I learned to surf down there as a teenager, so I'm getting nostalgic.

Here's some decent info I bookmarked on conditions:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 9740e026af

I know the flying in part is recommended as Norfolk, VA as other routes require ferry crossings (long lines at peak season). I'm staying w/family in the touristy area of Nags Head, but if you're kiting, stay on Hatteras island in Avon or all the way down in Buxton.

-John

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:47 pm

March through October is good for Hatteras. John is right, the best way to get there is to fly into Norfolk, VA and get a car. The drive is about an hour or an hour and a half to get to Hatteras. The best place to stay is probably Avon or Waves, as it's pretty central to all of the Outer Banks. Depending on wind conditions and direction, you may do a bit of driving, but the great thing is you can kite on pretty much any wind direction. The ocean side is very fun and awesome for downwinders, some downwinders can be as much as 20 miles if conditions are good. You can start a downwinder on the surf side around 10:30 or 11AM, kite for an hour and a half, have a quick lunch and a beer at the car and drive to the launch at Planet of the Apes and do a Sound downwinder of 6 or 7 miles to kite the flattest water you've ever known. Some areas behind some of the islands, especially the Planet of the Apes Island are just glass. Imagine being fully lit on an 8 or 10 and kiting in the glass as fast as you possibly can holding an edge so hard and loading up to send it. Sherman is awesome and we all know and love it, but kiting on the sound-side in Hatteras in good wind makes sherman look, well, pretty small.

After Labor day, you can get great deals on places to stay, but for the main season, you can find nice places for around $100/night. If you go with a few other people, you can get one of the awesome houses for more and split the cost. Check www.vrbo.com for vacation rentals.

The food is good, with plenty of fun places to eat and many great breakfast spots as well. The Outer Banks Brewing Company is very good, with good food, good beer, full bar and a lively crowd. Live music is normal for weekends.

The vibe is great, everyone is friendly, the semi-tropical humidity and warmth is awesome and the beaches are huge - lots of wide open spaces with white sands and cool dunes and grasses - a classic East Coast beach look and feel. On the downwinders, roll up all your gear and thumb it back up to your car, you'll get a ride within 15 minutes or so. Also, it seems like it's never too crowded. All up and down the Outer Banks, there are probably 40 places to launch at and endless miles of beach.

With all that said, though, their season is about the same as ours, so go if you want to take a vacation, not just to find wind, as the winds right here. I may be going in late May after Pismo for just that reason though, no matter how good the wind is here, sometimes it's just good to get away on a fun trip for something different.

And, lastly, be sure to visit Matt, Trip and the crew at Real Kiteboarding. The run a class act, are super-helpful and friendly and you have any gear needs, break anything, or just want to buy some new stuff, check them out and be sure to mention me and BAK so they can hook you up! If you do the Planet of the Apes downwinder, be sure to come in and land at Real at their slick docks and pluch lawn and hit the outdoor showers.

Hope that helps, post with more questions!

Ollie

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 am

Or contact Dimitri Maramenides, if you want some lessons I know he'd hook you up with the best places to stay etc...

dakine1
Regular
Regular

Post by dakine1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:20 am

Thanks for the shout... Who are you going with Ollie?? Curtis was talking about going too. Would be fun to go and get a house... Deb and I would love to check this place out..

ED/DEB OUT