Problem with trainer kite?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin
Problem with trainer kite?

Post by jjm » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:54 pm

I got the chance to fly my Best trainer kite for the second time this afternoon, and during a lull had the tip of the kite slack up, and then ended getting caught in front of one of the flying lines. I was able to keep the kite in the air, but wasn't able to fling the tip loose to get it back in its normal shape.

Was wondering if this was common in foil kites, or at least the smaller trainers?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:39 pm

As foils don't have a "frame" as do LEI's with their struts and leading edge, they are are reliant on the bridle network and a more or less steady flow of air to keep it "filled up" with air, so if you encounter lulls or dead spots, the kite can lose it's shape and get distorted in the air.

It likely happens more with smaller foils as there's less air in the cells. I'd imagine that larger foils can ride out lulls better.

Btw, what's the size of the Best trainer kite? Is it 2 or 3 meter?

P.s. It's good that you're out spending time wth it. You'll have a leg up come Spring.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:07 pm

BayAreaKite wrote:As foils don't have a "frame" as do LEI's with their struts and leading edge, they are are reliant on the bridle network and a more or less steady flow of air to keep it "filled up" with air, so if you encounter lulls or dead spots, the kite can lose it's shape and get distorted in the air.

It likely happens more with smaller foils as there's less air in the cells. I'd imagine that larger foils can ride out lulls better.

Btw, what's the size of the Best trainer kite? Is it 2 or 3 meter?

P.s. It's good that you're out spending time wth it. You'll have a leg up come Spring.
Cool. I just wanted to make sure that it was normal, and not due to the way the bridal lines are installed.

Best doesn't really give the size. Well, actually the bag has 1.8 printed on it, but that is obvioulsly wrong. The review I read before estimates it to be about 2.8 when compared to an Airush 3m.

KiteMare Review

It is about 8' long by 3' wide.

Can't wait for spring & lessons!

- Josh

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: Problem with trainer kite?

Post by KillaHz » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:47 pm

jjm wrote:I got the chance to fly my Best trainer kite for the second time this afternoon, and during a lull had the tip of the kite slack up, and then ended getting caught in front of one of the flying lines. I was able to keep the kite in the air, but wasn't able to fling the tip loose to get it back in its normal shape.

Was wondering if this was common in foil kites, or at least the smaller trainers?
If it's the bottom edge of the kite that gets twisted, reverse the kite the other way so that the twisted edge is at the sky now. This usually will put enough tention on the kite to free the bridal.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...