beginners looking for advice / instruction

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
rerickso
Contributor
Contributor
beginners looking for advice / instruction

Post by rerickso » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:51 pm

Greetings all,

My two roommates and I recently moved into an apartment in Lower Haight and we're dead-set on learning how to kiteboard. We've bought a few DVDs and an instructional land kite (Slingshot's Wasp II), and we're currently saving up money for wetsuits and lessons. The point of this post is mainly just to seek out some good advice and or assistance. Aside from a few questions that I'll list below, is there anyone out there who would like to teach three chill dudes the basics for a few hours? The lessons I've looked at seem to be running ~$300/person for three hours. The three of us would be willing to dish-out ~$500 for a few hours of good instruction. We're all coordinated 22 years old who swam in college so our safety around water shouldn't worry you whatsoever. Beers on us after the session.

General questions:
Is there a particular kind of wet suit that one should buy to kiteboard? (maybe one that restricts your arms less?)

Where's the best place to purchase used gear?

Where's the easiest / safest place for a beginner to start kiteboarding?

Thanks in advance for any advice -- have a pumpin' New Years

rerickso
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rerickso » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:06 pm

PS -- Lower Haight is a neighborhood in San Francisco. good deal.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: beginners looking for advice / instruction

Post by KillaHz » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:24 pm

rerickso wrote:Greetings all,

My two roommates and I recently moved into an apartment in Lower Haight and we're dead-set on learning how to kiteboard. We've bought a few DVDs and an instructional land kite (Slingshot's Wasp II), and we're currently saving up money for wetsuits and lessons. The point of this post is mainly just to seek out some good advice and or assistance. Aside from a few questions that I'll list below, is there anyone out there who would like to teach three chill dudes the basics for a few hours? The lessons I've looked at seem to be running ~$300/person for three hours. The three of us would be willing to dish-out ~$500 for a few hours of good instruction. We're all coordinated 22 years old who swam in college so our safety around water shouldn't worry you whatsoever. Beers on us after the session.

General questions:
Is there a particular kind of wet suit that one should buy to kiteboard? (maybe one that restricts your arms less?)

Where's the best place to purchase used gear?

Where's the easiest / safest place for a beginner to start kiteboarding?

Thanks in advance for any advice -- have a pumpin' New Years
Well, you guys got a few months before the season and lessons really fire up.

Things you can do to be prepared for the season/lessons:

you have the trainer kite...fly the hell out of it until you can fly it with your eyes closed, one hand on the bar.

By some magazines, The Kiteboarder Magazine www.kbmag.com has a wetsuit review coming out in the Jan. issue.

Get your hands on some good videos, I'm a little biased www.1cps.net

Watch some of the winter action in Alameda, Half Moon Bay, Waddel.

You will find a lot of people standing around quite a bit at this time of year on the beach...riding the 1/2 puffs that cruise through in storms.

Alameda is the best place to dial in your skills.

Sherman Island is great for instruction and just a ride up wind if you've allready got safety and the basics of water kiting.

As to getting someone to teach you and your buddies on the side...it's a realistic approach but noone is going to respond to that here as there are insurance implications and it's a small community.

With a group of three people, the lesson will take probably all day and you need wind for all of it as well.

I am running snow kite tours here in Tahoe if you would like to get going on the snow first and then transfer that to the water.

check out my website and send me an email if you want to know more www.1cps.net

gabe@kbmag.com
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:14 pm

Gabe is right on all points. It's true that no one is likely to take you up on your offer, publicly anyway, due to the liability involved. The money's attractive, but if someone gets hurt it's all over! :!:

Lessons won't be in effect for a little while yet, but it's quite possible you can swing a deal for all three of you if you all do it at once. Try Jeff at Kite Wind Surf when the season gets going.

It would be helpful for you guys to check out the action during the winter on windy days at Alameda. Then you can watch rigging and launching/landing procedures. You might even see some people getting worked in the storm winds!

Videos would definetely be helpful also. Gabe's Windreels Volume 1 is a great video showcasing great riding on great locations by killer riders. I would also definetly recommend "The Complete Kiteboarding Guide" from the folks at www.kitefilm.com. It's a 4 hour instructional video that takes you from just starting out all the way up to wave riding and kiteloops.

Kitefilm.com has been generous enough to send a few copies in for the Winter Contest and for review, which I'm a bit late on, but will be posting soon.

Good luck, be safe and feel free to post more questions, there are always people willing to help.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:50 am

Regarding wetsuits we have found the Gul F-Ride and Delta suits to be best suited for kiteboarding. Very flexy around arms and shoulders, significantly lighter than other brands, good articulation in areas that you need it, and overall a great price for the value. I recommend either a 4/3 or a 5/4 for the Bay Area, and a shortly for the warmer months at Sherman / 3rd ave.
Check out our complete wetsuit selection at:
http://www.live2kite.com/index.php?cPat ... aa6eb223ea

Also, for safety gear (helmets, impact vests, etc), take a look at:
http://www.live2kite.com/index.php?cPat ... aa6eb223ea

Don't hesitate to contact us via email or phone if you need more information on any of the above. We are also located in SF.

Regards,
Evan - Live2KITE