Snowkiting Feb 1-4

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
wjb
Resident
Resident
Snowkiting Feb 1-4

Post by wjb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:27 pm

I am going to be in the northshore area February 1st though 4th. It would be cool to hook up with some of the local kiting tribe while there. I plan to check out Mt Rose and ride if conditions are good otherwise I'll hit the resorts. Wade

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Wade, conditions in Tahoe are less than ideal for snow kiting right now.

There's a big group of Bay Area Riders going out to Utah that weekend. I believe there's still room on the trip. Check it out:

Go to www.wowkite.com

or just check out this months specials.

[web]http://www.wowkite.com/email2.html[/web]
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:51 pm

I'm going to Silverton that week... :rock:

BTW it hasn't snowed in Utah for over two weeks, although I'm sure none of the snow at Skyline has melted, either, it's been so frickin cold.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:45 pm

Check the wind conditions!!!

I just got back from UT and the weather out there is f@*ked! No wind, no storms and the dirtiest air in the nation.

A major high pressure system and inversion has left UT hurtin' for anything. :(

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:13 pm

My trip is pushed out a few weeks to wait for better conditions. I hope things can get back to normal soon.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:36 pm

Yoda wrote:Check the wind conditions!!!

I just got back from UT and the weather out there is f@*ked! No wind, no storms and the dirtiest air in the nation.

A major high pressure system and inversion has left UT hurtin' for anything. :(
Were you trying to snowkite in SLC or something? I was there from the 28th until the 5th and the conditions were sweet! We kited every day but one and that was just because we were worn out. Snow conditions were great and we were on 12's most of the time with the occasional smaller kite.

I think a local Bay Area Kiter P-Air who took his first snowkite trip to Utah last week may disagree about the conditions as well. He's pictured riding below:

...and as far as snow conditions go, well here's 8000 feet on Friday:

Don't mean no disprespect but we must have been in totally different areas of Utah.

If you want good fun, check out www.wowkite.com - every customer satisfied so far.
Gabe Brown

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:59 pm

Looks fun, didn't miss a thing here wind-wise either. That place looks SO wide-open. And powdery.
Go bigga'

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:28 am

No direspect taken Gabe. As fas as the part of UT that I was refering to was Skyline between the 23rd to the 27th of January. I checked with the locals including the Windzup crew during my stay and the snowkiting conditions, at that time, were feeble at best. Average winds during that period were 3-6mph at Skyline. My buddy made the drive up to Skyline on Friday Jan. 27th only to find moderate snow conditions and light wind. He got his 10m up, but he said the kiting conditions were only so so.

You must of got the begining of the low pressure system that hit that weekend and started to clear the dirty air out of SLC and brought Skyline back to life... lucky you! :)

I was stuck working at OR tradeshow during that weekend. :( Most of Utah had the dirtiest air in the nation for over 2 weeks... I caught the tail end of the inversion they were suffering from and missed any wind or new snow. :(

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:48 am

I should of mentioned that the lack of storms, wind or any new snow in UT started well over a week before I arrived on the 23rd. The locals said this year has been moderate for snowkitng conditions as compared to previous years at Skyline. The high pressure system that kept CA dry for the month of January effected them as well. I'm glad to see it's now blowing and snowing in UT!!! I'll be there in March for the Snowkite Masters. :mrgreen:

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:07 am

Yoda wrote:I should of mentioned that the lack of storms, wind or any new snow in UT started well over a week before I arrived on the 23rd. The locals said this year has been moderate for snowkitng conditions as compared to previous years at Skyline. The high pressure system that kept CA dry for the month of January effected them as well. I'm glad to see it's now blowing and snowing in UT!!! I'll be there in March for the Snowkite Masters. :mrgreen:
Mark, sounds like a good reason to hook up with Kafka. Even if Skyline is no good, he knows the area likely better than most of the local snowkiters. Good conditions can always be found in San Pete County. Going with someone who knows can get you sessions when everyone else is calling the conditions feeble, at best.
Gabe Brown