I Want To Become A Kiteboarding Instructor

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
flyingpaddy
Contributor
Contributor
I Want To Become A Kiteboarding Instructor

Post by flyingpaddy » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:13 am

I have just moved back to the Bayarea (great to be back) I want to know how to go about being a kiteboarding instructor? How do I Start off? I don't realy know much about it. All's I know is I have to register with IKO but dunno how to do that either. Are there any IKO Affilates round here?? I know this is a process that doesn't happen over night but ya gotta start somewhere right :roll: . I learnt how to kite surf in Australia and worked in a kite surfing school (IKO Registered) for 2 months assisting an instructor but I have no Certs or anything for this. I am not really that good yet (going up wind "just about :roll: ") So yeah just wonderin has anyone got any advice on this? What da ya reckon? do I just need to get better first or is now a good time to get started . Any advice would be good.

Thanks

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:05 pm

8)
Last edited by windhorny on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Maybe you should start by getting some work at a shop while working on your kiting... Instructors need plunty of practial experance as well as a cert of some sort. As you improve your kiting begin to pick up many of the other certs (CPR/ JETSKI RESCUE) that should go along with an instructors cert. You can learn alot about gear, both new and old by working in a good shop, learn how to setup and tune and repair all kinds of kites, much of a kite instructors job is giving sound advice!
Have fun!!!
L.M.G.
PS. you get a sweet discount on gear working in a shop also!!

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:11 pm

Yeah, i've done a good deal of research on being an instructor, here's what I've learned, anyone else, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong:

1. ability: you have to be able to jump and do both heelside and toeside carves.
2. you have to be cpr certified
3. you have to get IKO or PASA certified which usually costs around $500 and is done pretty rarely around here. you could take a trip to DR or maui or florida and get your certification there.

those are the specs for official certification, and it seems that more and more that's the direction most schools are going. however, yuri's suggestion is a good one. talk to the schools in the area and ask them if you can help out. i doubt they'll let you start teaching for real until you get certified, but at least you'll get a foot in the door. there are a TON of schools out there, i'm sure some of them would love some help, esp if you're okay with volunteering for the first bit. wrt 3rd ave schools, I know aquan has a school, helm had a school, ooto has a school . . .i'm sure there are others too.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

alison
Contributor
Contributor

IKO vs PASA

Post by alison » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:09 pm

From what I've seen, IKO is a better organization but there are only 4 IKO shops in the US (Hawaii, Chicago, Fl, and N.C I think). There's a really cool 3 week IKO instructor course in Boracay during January. They're really serious about instruction and they do teach differently.

But, if you can't get a job without having to move again, what good is it?

From a student's perspective (which is a little off topic but I really want to make this point) it depends on the instructor. While I like the IKO system, I had a perfectly terrible IKO instructor. My Alameda PASA instructor was much better, way more informative, and much easier to learn from one on one.

Also off topic but important for anyone interested in IKO generally, especially if you travel : IKO offers kiteboarding insurance anywhere in the world once you're IKO certified level 2 (you can go 25 m on a baord which apparently someone saw me do).

You can look up IKO shops or insurance online at ikorg.com. If anyone's interested in the Boracay thing, let me know. I have some much cheaper places to stay.

Good luck
Alison

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Don Bogardus » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:49 pm

To teach in bay area, only PASA is recognized at this time, (insurance avalability for schools).
Boracay is a scam I have heard from others who have done that one. They make it longer to
increase local incoming revenue, and occupancy.

A Standard IKO ITC is 5 days, and can be done in DR or PR.
If you want to teach overseas, you need IKO.

Claudia Nygard usually does a PASA ITC every spring@ Alameda, (usually April), check PASA ITC calender,
LOTS of places/dates to do it!. :) PM me if you need any
additional info, BoardsportsSchool.com always needs instructors.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:35 am

Hey, does anyone know when the next PASA ITC is? I don't see anything on the pasa calendar . . .
ShredReady Helmets

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Don Bogardus » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:51 am

adamrod wrote:Hey, does anyone know when the next PASA ITC is? I don't see anything on the pasa calendar . . .

Try contacting Claudia Nygard; kitegirl@kitegirl.com or
claudian@pasakiteboarding.org

~emily.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ~emily. » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:14 am

The Bay Area ICP (Instructor Certification) is scheduled for May 11th through 15th.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:11 am

Emily, is the bay area ICP a PASA certification? if so, how does one sign up and where is it?
ShredReady Helmets