Will I have time to kite on day of arrival in La Ventana ?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Will I have time to kite on day of arrival in La Ventana ?

Post by liv2kitesurf » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:45 pm

Will I have time to kite on the day I arrive in La Ventana ? I fly into La Paz arriving at 1:37 PM (on 12/25, which happens to be Christmas Day - how cool is my wife ?) and pick up rental car. Staying at Baja Joe's.

You see the reason I am trying to calculate this is that I leave on 12/29 at 2:55 PM (so probably can't kite that day). You get the picture.

I am going to La Ventana for a few days (literally). I am using frequent flyer miles and I did not have many options for staying a bit longer (I am more of a wave guy anyway... so I don't want to stay too too long). But I am jonsing for some good wind, warm water etc.

Thanks
liv2kitesurf
BayAreaKiteboarding 1st enrolled member ! (besides host)

F-one Bandit 7.5, 9 & 11m
6'0" yellow custom quad surfboard

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/B ... dingShotsI

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:41 am

Only if you stop in Los Barriles on the way.
Go bigga'

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

la ventana

Post by airess » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:50 am

it's possible, the wind usually blows till 4-5pm. if you are on a non-stop flight into la paz, then you will have to go thru customs at the la paz airport, which takes time. then the time it takes to get your rental (i don't know much about where you pick up a rental, is it at the airport?) then, it's about a 45 min ride into la ventana. you might think about skipping rental car and taking a taxi to l.v. you don't need a car in la ventana, and if you are only there a few days there won't be much time to go touring anyway. you can get taxis at the airport and they know where baja joe's is. (remember, it's xmas day and mexico is very religious, so hopefuloly taxis will be working) also, check with baja joe's, i know they have like a taxi bus guy they call when there are a lot of people going to airport so that will be cheaper.
anyway, good luck, i'll already be there..na na na nana!

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

la ventana

Post by airess » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:26 pm

correction to above, you may have to go thru <i> immigration</i> if ns flight. (you have to go thru customs anyway) and i do remember seeing rentals in airport ( i never use them so i never paid attention) one good thing about rental car is you can drive up to the hot springs. also, if there is an <i> el norte</i> it might blow longer than 4 or 5 pm.

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:29 pm

Mistake. I get iinto Cabo, not La Paz, at 1:37 and then need to go thru immigracion/customs?, pick up rental car, drive to La Ventana and want to know if I will get to kite on arrival day.

Also, if I was flying into La Paz (wich was my preference) I would not rent a car.
liv2kitesurf

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:55 am

Then my answer stands (since I misread the post and assumed Los Cabos anyway!) Have fun.
Go bigga'

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:14 am

fearlu wrote:Then my answer stands (since I misread the post and assumed Los Cabos anyway!) Have fun.
Yea, I could tell you had me coming from the far south. That is a great suggestion.

I think I'll visit Los Barilles on the way up. Is there usually wind at Los Barilles and is it a pretty good place to kite ?

where should I park and set up (or is this a non-issue ?)

I used to surf Baja Norte and Sur in my young surfing days (70's &80's) from n. san diego county ... but stayed away from the right side with a vengence.

Thanks,
l2ks
liv2kitesurf

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:10 am

Last year, at this same arrival time, I planned to kite in LB on the way but decided not to risk driving the San Antonio Road in the dark. That could be ugly since it's a little hard to identify the turn-off and can be pretty heavily whooped-out. Nothing like full-on rally driving in a rental car, after dark on an unmarked road with a wind-jones going! Nice and relaxing? If you do decide to go to LB there are a variety of options for launching-- just look for the other kites!
Go bigga'

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

la ventana

Post by airess » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:29 pm

i thought a flight arrival time of 1:37 into la paz sounded fishy...no, you won't make it to LV, but los b is on the way, but you definately<b> DO NOT</b> want to drive in baja after dark.
FYI there are non-stop flights from L.A. into la paz on both delta and alaska. good luck, hope you get some merry xmas!

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:24 am

fearlu wrote:Last year, at this same arrival time, I planned to kite in LB on the way but decided not to risk driving the San Antonio Road in the dark. That could be ugly since it's a little hard to identify the turn-off and can be pretty heavily whooped-out. Nothing like full-on rally driving in a rental car, after dark on an unmarked road with a wind-jones going! Nice and relaxing? If you do decide to go to LB there are a variety of options for launching-- just look for the other kites!
How long is the drive from Cabo ? ... Is the road and route pretty straight forward in daylight ? and, if not, are there any important suggestions you could give.

I am looking into flying into La Paz (but I think I could not do it with my FF Miles, so I would have to pay). I can do it for $650 (complete) and then I probably get 1-2 extra (short) kiting sessions. Hmm
liv2kitesurf