Kite Sizing: One (smaller) size fits all?

Local weather resources and topics.
Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Kite Sizing: One (smaller) size fits all?

Post by Sander » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:45 pm

What are your thoughts about the magical "1-kite quiver"?
Are the newer kites more efficient, allowing you to ride a size smaller than you used to, with more range?

My experience is that for the East Bay I can use a 12m kite over 90% of the time (and in fact usually only bring 1 kite when I ride the bike). When my 12m went down with a tear, I reverted to a 10m and found that it does almost everything my 12 could do.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:13 pm

i honestly never believed in the 1-kite quiver. It's possible that the new kites have more range, but at the end of the day, a 10m kite on a 10m day is going to be better than a 12m kite on a 10m day.

I guess the difference is that nowadays, you might be able to get by with just one kite, whereas before it was impossible. But if you ask me, if you're really into kiting, you're going to have more than one kite. I'll believe in a 1 kite quiver when someone rides the same kite in 28 mph waddell winds as they do in a 10 mph day at alameda, and can pull the same tricks with the same air in both places.

in your case, were your 12m and 10m the same brand and style? Between manufacturers and aspect ratios, there is quite a bit of overlap between the two. also, the better the rider, the more he/she can make do with different sizes.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:40 pm

i belive.
sander you have been to the dance..

adamrod
you are just start n to dance..

sander..
you and i could b.s. al day about sail cloth, and SQ,area to play with ..
i think 9m will end up being all we need , some may like more....
i liked the 12m rapture too
seemed it would do the trick.
Narly1

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:28 pm

my feeling is: it's best to use the right size for the conditions.
someone just asked a question about the number of injuries in Florida and if it was related to squalls, the ansure, simply YES.
What squalls have is RANGE more then anything, yes they are gusty, yes they are shifty but it's the highs and lows that are the killers. Generally speaking: going small is better then going big.
So my responce is: A one kite quiver is a vision of the future only for moderate kiting (simi-similar conditions), those that want it all are going to have 3 kites or more for a long time to come.
L.M.G.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:40 am

A one-kite quiver is perfect. About 80% of the time.

:mrgreen:
Go bigga'