Tired of Insane Kite prices?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
NEKiter
Tired of Insane Kite prices?

Post by NEKiter » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:45 pm

I have been kiting for 2 years now and have spent thousands of dollars on kites that are worth 20% of their orginal cost only 12 months later. Three weeks agp I purchased 3 Brand new kites (05 Windwing Outrages 17m 14m 12m for 1600.00 usd.. I thought that with a deal like this the kites would be 3 year old technology. However, I was gladly mistaken. The kites came with relaunch system (4 lines only not 5) a state of the art S.A.F.E. system which totally depowers the kite. I flew the kite and found that the lift was phenomenal, it turned on a dime, and flew extemely well in gusty conditions. Because of the relaunch system I am going to use them in the winter for snow kiting. I thought about buying a 04 14m Frenzy for $1400 but found out about this deal and bought three kites instead for only S200 more. With these kites I can use them year round. I did notice thought that the Windwing sale is only good until Jan 1 05. I'm not sure what the price will be after that. Ride on.

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:50 pm

yea best used to be the best in my book but now windwing seems to be taking over. very impressed with what they are doing and i hope many more companies will move toward a more respectable kiting economy

Kiteboardstud25
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kiteboardstud25 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:10 pm

yeah, took advatage of the same deal. Can't wait to get them.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:49 pm

consumer wrote:yea best used to be the best in my book but now windwing seems to be taking over. very impressed with what they are doing and i hope many more companies will move toward a more respectable kiting economy
A little early to say that Windwing is taking over, but I like the fact that another company is going with this approach. We, as kiters, all benefit as this will result increased competition, higher quality and lower prices.

Good for everyone, I'd say!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:53 pm

Yep I ordered mine and should get them soon. Best just came out with their new kites too. I think they will bring back the 342 deal soon. So now there are 2 companies doing the direct market thing. Next year others will follow.
Nekiter 3 kites for $1600???? Did you get the bar?? I got the 17,12, and 9 for $1800 with cc bar and lines.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:06 pm

Dewey,

That's a good spread of sizes and the kites are supposed to have great range with the premium bar, so you should have most situations covered.
Let us know when you get them and hopefully we'll have some workable winds here soon.

We've had a mild winter so far with hardly any of the wild South winds that make Alameda a great option in the winter. Hopefully some storms will come through soon. Get your booties and hoods ready. :)

I'm stoked about the new developments in the kite market. This is going to be a great year. No doubt other companies will feel the pressure and it may be a bit tough for some initially, but no one company is going to spoil the party, it's still a young and growing market and as the market grows it will be easier for may companies as they'll be able to slim down margins in exchange for a bigger market. Everyone, including established brand loyalists will benefit. I know I'm repeating myself, but it's exciting news.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:10 pm

Yep, if I'm too woosie to get into the water I'll let you give the kites a go. Booties and hood??? Burrrrrrrr
Dewey

marin
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marin » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:16 am

I'm hoping the kites are good and the SAFE system is great. With a wife and kids to think about I really appreciate any of the kite companies that are attempting to come out with inovative safety features.

I ordered 3 Rage II's (9, 12,17). They are suppose to arrive in the next few days and I am planning a Ventana trip the 1st week of Jan. Can't wait to try them.

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:06 pm

I plan on ordering a quiver before the deal ends (although I really guess that it will be reinstated sometime down the road).

I'm a beginner as my first 2 lesssons were at the very end of last season. In the RageII lineup, a couple of you spread your choices as 9, 12, 17, however on the Windwing site there are only 8 & 10s (no 9s).

Since I'll be @ Alameda for the a bunch of learner sessions, does it seem silly to buy an 8 meter kite? Perhaps 10,14,17 makes more sense.

Any suggestions??

John

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:08 pm

Also, has anyone local flown the '05 Windwings (RageII) yet??? The only testimonials are on kiteforum.com and it's also better if someone local can speak for how well they fly.