I can do that...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fearlu
Resident
Resident
I can do that...

Post by fearlu » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:25 am

Check out sequences 9, 11, 12 and 13. WOW!

Tubed!
Go bigga'

Bullroarer Took
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bullroarer Took » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Way cool. Martin Vari riding the much maligned Slingshot Link.

zgur
Resident
Resident

wow

Post by zgur » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:35 pm

That is sweet sick shots....I'd love to see the whole sequence when Vari gets eaten by the wave.....sweeettttt...

So dave, what are you doing on Surfline??? The coast calling you? you want to know what the surf is doing??? Got the bug???

I can relate......

Get some, Z.

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 pm

... missing words for that ...

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:48 pm

That is beautiful! Amazing photography. Then again for $30k I would hope to get some good shots in too.

Question: If one was to get into wave riding-with a kite of course-is it reccomended to go small surf board over using a tt with longer fins? I remember my first day at Waddell with my tt and small fins was like running on ice. But with longer fins you can still grab through the foam.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 pm

That sequence is like omigodholichitjezuzchryz and then...

What happened next?

And what happens when you are halfway up a wave like that on a directional kiteboard unhooked and let go of your kite?

Are you guys sure that link is the kite he's riding; it looks to me like it is someone else's kite on the outside. If that's his kite, either he's riding really short lines or that wave is 80 ft. high.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

zgur
Resident
Resident

waves, we love waves

Post by zgur » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Paul - once you let go, you are just surfing a strapped surfboard....not that I have done it, as I don't have an endless supply of kites or a kite bitch on a waverunner to retrieve my kites.....sounds good thought.....

Windhorny/Yuri - if you really want to get into wave riding, you have one of two options:
1. Longer fins on TT - cheaper option, better then stock fins, but sub optiimal for riding waves. Still requires too much kite power to surf, not fast enough to catch some of the fast waves of the pacific, not enough drive upwind....the list is long.....but, a TT with larger fins is better then a TT with small fins. The above issues are all enhanced - have more effect - in the lighter wind we get in the fall.....

2. Surf board - like a North rocket fish. get one and practice at home in flat water.....you will love how it rides, and it may render you glide board obselete.....learn how to jibe and how it feels....you will be able to use a smaller kite, keep speed up, get upwind to the break.....hit the wave more then 1 big gouge (the old TT style of riding waves)..It's the ultimate destination for riding in the waves.

But hey, it's 1 guys opinion........here is another dudes opinion http://www.surfingwithkites.com/....I happen to agree with him having lived through all the stages myself (and having spent the $$$, TT, TT with surf fins, Mutant, short directional, medium directional.....now a long directional on order)...........

The fact that the best wave kiters in the world and your favorite local break are all riding directional surf board is a good indicator that it may be the best tool for the job.........

Get some, Z.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:18 pm

Makes sense, thanks.

The idea of a disposable kite is great! This is the best way to recycle all that pre 04 gear. Use a junk kite to tow you to the lip and just let it go! Let it float in, the next guy to catch the kite gets the next ride! ok maybe not.

Bullroarer Took
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bullroarer Took » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:43 pm

There are two guys flying Links and I'm sure they are Links. Vari punches through the lip on his and lets go - the kite gets eaten by the next wave. The second guy uses his kite as a tow in and purposely lets it go.

Wish I got those for free...

Anybody else checking ticket prices to Tahiti?

AntiJF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AntiJF » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:24 am

Z, I think 99% of the riders are going to be riding wave twin tips once they get over the "Cool Factor" of having a surfboard.