Can you believe those NUMBNUTZ censored you on iwindsurf.com

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
HighAgain
Can you believe those NUMBNUTZ censored you on iwindsurf.com

Post by HighAgain » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:18 pm

What a weak act! :twisted: Their message board is totally lame and they won't even give you the courtesy of spreading the word. Like you're somehow gonna' dip into their revenue stream. Morons. I bet you're a paying customer too-- much like the rest of us who are glad to have an alternative place to communicate. If they didn't have the only service I REALLY need them for (real-time wind reports) I'd just tell them to quit billing my card-- something they've done for many years running I may add.

Spread the word at the beach, send e-mail to the posters there, get out some bumper stickers, post HERE! The Bay Area Kiteboarding community has got to be the most affluent and diverse group on the web in this category-- unless you're from Deutschland! :wink:

Keep the faith OG, this too will pass.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: Can you believe those NUMBNUTZ censored you on iwindsurf

Post by OliverG » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:31 pm

Indeed, but that's to be expected I suppose. Surely they realize that we're not out to affect them in any way and certainly not to replace them or detract from their revenue or user base in any way. I need them just like anyone else! They usually do delete any references to any websites or email addresses, but I think they even censored it when I spelled it out trying to get around it. Oh well.

"Spread the word at the beach, send e-mail to the posters there, get out some bumper stickers, post HERE! "

Stickers are on order, you should be peeping them here and there within a week or so, so that will help. And hey, thanks for your kind words of support there, bro!

Ollie

tim_fred
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tim_fred » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:10 am

No joke. I love iwindsurf/ikitesurf, but the censorship paranoia on the forums there is a little extreme.

I got an entire post deleted when I pointed to the best Alameda real-time wind sensor. (Here, or here by the way.)

-tim

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:41 am

Tim_fred,

Thanks for the heads-up on the other alameda sensor at Encinal High School, I had no idea that existed! You can't have too many resources when it comes to the wind. I'll post it on the Winds page.

Thanks,
Ollie

Greg
Old School
Old School

censership

Post by Greg » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:40 am

The Ikite forum is sencered for a reason.
The old forum became fulled with junk (to be nice).
IKITE is automated to deleate certin words (cussing etc...) they also drop most .coms. There really is a method to their madness, it works pretty well concidering...
L.M.G.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:08 am

I do believe that iKite is set to automatically delete any profane or otherwise unacceptable language. I have just learned that the forum moderators, who are iKite volunteers read and approve (and censor) posting before publishing them.

This has recently resulted in a bias in which some are permitted to post web URL links and publish names, and others are not permitted to and web url links and names are censored. Profane language and commercial ads have no place on iKite, but when free speech about community interests are censored? Hmm...

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:51 am

Ollie: you are right
LMG: spellcheck?

...only joshing 'ya m'brizzle
Go bigga'