New kite that has ASS

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
New kite that has ASS

Post by OliverG » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:51 pm

Looks like Best is joining the fray with a light wind kite also.

The BFK ASS kite is touted as follows:

"The wider span, enhanced profile, new rigid wing-tip design and ASS all work together to bring you a super quick turning, ultra powerful kite that flies incredibly fast through the window. Upwind ability is unmatched, in fact a 16m BFK with ASS has the power of most other brands' 20 meter kites with the perceived agility and turning speed of a 12-13m kite."

Maybe we can get a demo kite here to try out on those light wind days, who knows?

feixaq
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by feixaq » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:14 pm

er, i'm having trouble figuring out whether this is a real product or whether the best site got hacked? :roll: seems like a real product, but the ASS acronym makes it hard to take this seriously?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:20 pm

Eh, I guess it's just their sense of humor....

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:35 pm

It goes along with the kite name, BFK big f'ing kite. (best f'ing kite?)

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:55 pm

I would go with the wind wing with the SAFE before i got that. In their video it totally flattens out the arc of the kite.

Blair

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:22 pm

Blair I think it flattens out the kite to increase surface area. The wind wings do the same but not so extream. I'm going with the wind wings. best makes a good kite but, I think the SAFE system is the way to go. They claim you could use it in 4knots. I want to see that
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:32 pm

Well, nothing will fly in 4 knots, so that's out..I would think 8 knots is the bare minimum regardless of design, right?

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:18 pm

you might be able to use it in 4 knots but you damn sure aren't kiteboarding on the water. you might be able to snowkite but i would highly doubt it.

Blair

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:18 pm

4 knots won't even get it off the ground. How would anyone kite in 4 knots. Must relaunch like a dream. Can't wait for the Best B.S. kite that could fly in >0 knots. lol.
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:30 pm

In all fairness, there's a certain amount of hype and propaganda to be had with all kites. Cabrinha Contra press: "Targeting the light wind threshold of 5-10 knots, the Contra was developed specifically to produce power and true light wind performance when you need it the most." Same thing, 5 knots will get you nowhere.

Hype abounds all the time ... Looking at the new Naish Torch ads, while I'm sure they are indeed rockin' kites, they'd have you believe that nothing like it has existed in the world up to now. Who knows, Windwing might be even have their share too. ;) I'd still like to check them out though.