Going to 3rd for the first time

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Sonny
Resident
Resident

Post by Sonny » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:23 am

You will be fine on your 14 if the wind is like the last two days but if the wind is like the last weekend then the 14 might be too much. Please get advice from the experienced locals. No one wants to see you get hurt.
Sonny
3rd AVE Kite Repair
sonny@kite3rd.com
http://www.kite3rd.com

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:27 am

Britt,

I had my first time at 3rd not too long ago myself. On my second or third time I had one accident and want to give advice about launching the kite. Be especially careful with your C-kite. At Alameda I never had any problem with my 2005 12m Cabrinha Element, but at 3rd I was just lucky this thing didn't kill me. You have 14m, so while launching:

1) Depower (extend your arms)
2) Depower (extend your arms)
3) Position yourself properly, so that all lines have correct tension just before you show thumb up
4) Lean back, prepare to resist the kite
5) When the kite is released, concentrate all your attention at bringing the kite up and resisting.

I wouldn't worry about launching if it's a bow kite, but C-kites don't have so much depower. If you position yourself wrong, or if the gust hits - things can happen so quickly that your mind won't be able to think about activating safety system of your kite. At Alameda I saw beginners launching their C-kites while not resisting, not being depowered, standing in a wrong position to the wind, the kite ends up directly in the power zone, then suddenly goes up, and nothing bad happens. At 3rd this can be way different. I know about beginners who got injured at 3rd while making these very common mistakes (including myself).

As knyfe has said, have someone to hold you while launching. Super important, especially if it's your first time when it's really windy.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:11 pm

Just a notice in case someone didn't say it already:
3rd you should only go in NW-W winds and what's in between. When the wind has south element I would strongly suggest not going out if you are a beginner. When its straight N its also hard to get out as its straight onshore. I only say that because today it looks very south, I hope it will change in the afternoon. If things stay south the way they are now Alameda may be a better call.

Endlestorm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Endlestorm » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 pm

Speaking of southerly, Alameda rocked on Thursday, and I managed to stay put for a dozen or so tacks. Whats the forecast for 3rd tomorrow, more of this offshore stuff?

Endlestorm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Endlestorm » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:49 pm

She pounded me quite mercilessly at first, repeatedly, relentlessly. But I turned the tables, and overcame; I responded to her thrust with perfectly timed recoil, to her unpredictable shifts with diffusing, stealthy maneuvers. I tamed her and turned her violent rythms into silky soft undulations. She is 3rd ave, and she took my Peninsula virginity. Today, however, Iím having hard time walking.