You must come to Tahoe this weekend!

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
david
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by david » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:03 pm

Gabe, how is it looking for tomorrow, I am thinking to come up in the am.
The forecasts I have seen look a bit calm.
David

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:16 pm

david wrote:Gabe, how is it looking for tomorrow, I am thinking to come up in the am.
The forecasts I have seen look a bit calm.
David
It's a tough call for tomorrow...could be perfect up high. You can usually add 5 - 10 mph wind to the ridges on the Tahoe forcast.

Up in the air though...not sure if I will be able to go tomorrow either.

Looks really good for the ridges this weekend though.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:53 pm

KillaHz wrote:
If we hike, snow shoes are nice but now a requirement. We will have a crew of people packing down a trail ahead so shouldn't be too bad.

Everything is really wind dependent, so I'm not sure what time we will be rolling out of The Block. Probably mid morning.
What time is midmorning?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:58 am

jjm wrote:
KillaHz wrote:
If we hike, snow shoes are nice but now a requirement. We will have a crew of people packing down a trail ahead so shouldn't be too bad.

Everything is really wind dependent, so I'm not sure what time we will be rolling out of The Block. Probably mid morning.
What time is midmorning?
10 or 11.
Gabe Brown

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:09 pm

Details for Saturday:

Well, me, Brian and Heather of Ozone got a good session this afternoon up at Red Lakes Ridge. Looks like tomorrow we may do two groups. One in the flats of the lower elevations and one up high for those who want to hike.

We will meet at 10:00 am at the Chevron in Meyers. Meyers is the town that you first come to at the bottom of the pass on HWY 50. WE will be heading out Hwy 89 south towards Kirkwood.

If you are late, the places to check are:
Grass Lake - off to your right at the top of Luther Pass (89)
Blue Lakes meadow - Go 89 all the way to 88 take a right and go 2 miles...can't miss us if we're there.
Red Lakes Ridge - Continue passed blue lakes to the top of Carson pass. Just over the other side is a parking lot on your right. (Snow Pass required...you can get a day pass at Chevron in Meyers for $5.) You will just have to try to follow the hiking tracks up. As soon as you break through the trees, it will be apparent where you are going.

Hope to see you all up here tomorrow.

From today:

Gabe Brown

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:44 pm

Heading up to Tahoe now. Hopefully I will catch up with you guys. If I don't make it, hope you guys have a great time.

zgur
Resident
Resident

how was it?

Post by zgur » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:34 am

I skied Tahoe yesterday on the N side (Alpine Meadows). The snow was spring soft, and a steady 15-20 mph wind on the ridge.

How was it?
what size kites used?

Good wind + waves, Zeev.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Re: how was it?

Post by KillaHz » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:27 pm

zgur wrote:I skied Tahoe yesterday on the N side (Alpine Meadows). The snow was spring soft, and a steady 15-20 mph wind on the ridge.

How was it?
what size kites used?

Good wind + waves, Zeev.
Winds were light and south all weekend. Some got sessions up high on the ridges, everyone got to know the area and fly some Ozone kites. Those who stuck around till the end got a nice lit up 10m - 12m session at Grass lake yesterday afternoon. It was a nice reward to see 15 or so kites on Grass Lake at the end of the weekend.

I expect to see you up here soon Zeev.

I'm heading to Utah on THrusday to hook up with the Ozone crew and check out their scene.

See you in the snow.
Gabe Brown

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:54 am

Hey all,

So who went up from the Bay Area to get in on the snowkite demo weekend, which looked to be a blast?

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:15 pm

I was having too much fun riding to get the camera out, so when I finally did, the light was gone. This video should still give you an idea of what riding Grass Lake is like. It's an 11mb, windows media file.
Zoom out to full screen and sit back from the monitor, it still looks pretty good.

http://www.spitfirewire.com/GrassLakeSnowkite.wmv

Waiting for more fresh.