Anybody going to Sherman Thursday.

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
gman100
Joey
Joey
Anybody going to Sherman Thursday.

Post by gman100 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:57 pm

I have been riding Alameda and can stay upwind as long as there's a decent amount of wind. I took one lesson at Sherman and finished my lessons at Alameda. I don't consider myself a beginner but would like a buddy for the first time or two at Sherman just to be safe.

bobbyboom
Regular
Regular

Post by bobbyboom » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:09 pm

If it's your first time I would recommend doing the downwinder with Juile and Nat. It's a nice way to get fully acclimated to the place. You can also land at the beach after your ride and that will be helpful because the launch is a nut job for beginners. I've been kiting almost every day for 3 1/2 months and that launch stills kicks my ass.

Problem is Alameda launch is usually low wind so I had a tendancy to really "huck" the kite up and over my head to the water. If you do that at Sherman on the launch beach (which I did the first time) you are gonna go flying. No joke.

Also, pray for wind there as the last two days have been a wee bit lite. Good luck and do tell your story afterwards. Enjoy and safe kiting.

-Bobby

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:52 pm

Good Advice from BB.

Remember a few key diffs between Alameda and Sherman. At Alameda, if you end up not staying upwind, you have a mile of beach to land on. At Sherman, you have ten miles of bolders and blackberry bushes with a busy road right behind them (10 ft). If the wind comes up (and it often does) while you are on an unplanned downwinder, you could get lofted when you come in, over the road and into endless barbed wire fences. It has happened many times.

If you're coming with a buddy, scope out the potential downwind landing site (Little Baja) and make a plan for your buddy to meet you there if necessary.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi,

I second the boat ride for the downwinder with Edge Kiteboarding (Julie/Nat) - I have been doing that the last few weekends - it has been great. My first boat ride was assisted, since I did not know the lay of the land...after that unassisted, but I always let someone know that I should be coming in an hour or so...just in case I get stranded or something...

Ciao, Lisa

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:50 pm

how fun...
Narly1

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:00 pm

S.I. was going off this afternoon. Where were U