HARNESSES!

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
kyates19
Joey
Joey
HARNESSES!

Post by kyates19 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:14 pm

I am curious to what everyone recommends for a beginner harness and helmet. Also, I have bought my kite, board and wetsuit online. Where should I buy my harness, helmet, and leash? Is there any other equipment I should get?

bobbyboom
Regular
Regular

Post by bobbyboom » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:39 pm

Hey, and Welcome!

As for a harness I would recommend a seat harness. Since you are new you will be sitting in the water a lot with the kite above you at 12 O' clock and a seat harness is more comfortable in this position. The waist harness can "ride up" if you are in the water a lot at 12 O' clock and can be less comfortable. I'm still in a seat harness and I actually like it quite a bit and adds extra flotation too if the wind dies and you have to swim back a large distance.

Helmet for sure. Saftey first in this sport.

Kiteleash, just make absolutely sure it has a release on it. If anything goes wrong you want to make sure you can get "away" from the kite 100%. This is a mistake I made as my first kiteleash did NOT have a release and I got in a SUPER sketchy situation and could not release. It almost cost me some serious physical damage. I got VERY lucky.

Wet Suit. Depends on your level of cold comfort. I have a 4/3 full suit for most bay area days and a shorty for hot days.

Other than that you should be good to go. A good site to buy used gear is this one as well as www.ikitesurf.com. Have fun and safe kiting.

-Bobby

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:31 am

Shoot yourself over to Kite Wind Surf accross the street from Alameda beach. They will take care of all your needs and you will be supporting the locals as well( a good reason to not buy things online!)

Sounds like you are on your way.

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:28 am

you will be supporting the locals as well( a good reason to not buy things online!)
Except for live2kite.com, they are locals.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:53 am

Live2Kite.com has a great line of the new Mystic harnesses. I just got one after using a Dakine for years and I have to say the Mystic harness rocks.

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:46 pm

i would recommend the mystic harness as well. I got mine from Evan @ live2kite and I'm very happy with it.

-clint