Alameda Guidelines

Information about San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding locations and guidelines.
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Alameda Guidelines

Post by OliverG » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:06 am

Welcome to bayareakiteboarding.com
San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding safety, access, information, reviews, forums, and classifieds.

Image Alameda Guidelines - Applicable to all sites

Image KITERS, WELCOME TO ALAMEDA -

Your help is needed so that everybody can enjoy this area safely! Please be aware that this is a public beach! Kiteboarding in Alameda is a privilege not a right. Please take the time to read and follow the following guidelines. It is strongly recommended that you take a lesson and are informed as to all safety procedures before participating in the sport of kite boarding. If you have any questions ask for additional information. Thank You.
When flying a trainer kite please adhere to these guidelines!
If you arrive early please ask beach-goers to remain out of the kiting zone. When you see spectators standing in the launch zone or entry/exit point, ask them politely to move to a safe location upwind.
Please MAINTAIN A SAFETY ZONE around you of a minimum of 200 ft. (or approximately 2 kite line lengths at all times!) No jumping or doing tricks within 200 ft. of the shore or on the beach!

There is to be no kiting without a kite safety leash.

LAUNCH AREA:

ï The launch zone must remain clear of equipment. It is for launching and landing only!
ï The area down wind of the launch zone is for the kite school and is to remain clear of all non kite-school equipment.
ï Please do not kite directly in front of the launching/landing zone or the kite school.

LAUNCHING:

ï Self launching is discouraged, please ask for assistance.
ï Launch only in the designated kite area as this will greatly reduce our impact on the public beach.
ï Before launching double check that your lines are set up correctly and that your equipment is in working order.
ï Before launching make sure launching/landing zone is clear of kites, beachgoers, and windsurfers.
ï After launching, move immediately into the water.

LANDING YOUR KITE:

ï Be sure that no one is launching as you come in.
ï Obtain assistance for landing your kite.
ï Roll-up your lines immediately after landing and move your kite out of the launching/landing zone
RIGHT OF WAY:
ï Starboard Tack has right of way (RIGHT HAND FORWARD)
ï When on the same tack, downwind sailor has right of way. Right of way does not mean you can veer up or down wind. While passing, MAINTAIN YOUR COURSE!!
ï Kites being launched have right of way.
ï While passing another kiter who is down wind of you, fly your kite high; if you are the down wind kiter, fly your kite low.
ï KEEP CLEAR OF ALL BEACH GOERS, SWIMMERS, AND WADERS. THEY ALWAYS HAVE RIGHT OF WAY.
ï Jumpers revoke their right of way.

WALKING KITES UPWIND:

ï For the safety of beach goers, it is strongly recommended that you do not walk up the beach with your kite in the air.

BEACH ETIQUETTE:

ï Please leave your kite lines rolled up until ready for use.
ï Please keep unused kites stacked up and clear of the launching zone.
ï Be helpful to others and take responsibility for public safety.
ï Stay a Minimum of 200 ft. from shore while kiting. Keep at least 2 kite line lengths between yourself, swimmers, waders, and beach goers.
Please be considerate and mindful of those using this public beach. Help to maintain a great place to enjoy this sport in the future!

Many Thanks!!!
ALAMEDA KITEBOARDERS

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Alameda Hazards

Post by OliverG » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:58 pm

Alameda Hazards

Below are some photos showing some of the hazards present at Alameda, depending on the tides.

This photo shows the rocks between the flags. When there is about four inches showing on the square post of the outer mark you can hit these in the trough of a wave.

This photo shows the "Board Busters /Ankle breakers" between the flags. Watch out for this line running in between the markers just downwind of the launch on lower tides.

This photo shows the old radar tower timber pylons visible at a lower tide. They are upwind and outside of the launch and are marked by a buoy or two chained to the site. Stay clear.

Here are more self-explanatory pics showing details of the present hazards:

klotzm
Joey
Joey

Info on Alameda

Post by klotzm » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi there, I kite up here in Oregon (Gorge/coast) and have a friend moving to Alameda for school in Oakland.
Can you tell me about wind speeds and seasons?
Thanks,
Michael Klotz

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:46 pm

Ollie,
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! for posting these photos, AND hosting this site AND being a better friend to me then I've been to you........
Your a good man! Take care,
Greg

narly1
Regular
Regular

bouys

Post by narly1 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:50 pm

i made bouys today as per bob M.
2 of them
i think he wants to hang um this weekend ....

oh i had to thank ollie yesterday,..... for DrAg N my soRRy downsiDe
out to kiTe..
to throw somethinG...
and then try it Again .n . . . .n . . .n ....

ollies been A haRd dRiVe n forCe in my kite n FuN...

as has....
limm gee
chip,...
the AnT.
BoB m..
and others..
Narly1

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:07 pm

i made bouys today as per bob M.
2 of them
i think he wants to hang um this weekend ....
Thank You Mr. Narly!
You are indeed #1!

Would you like to assist at the afore mentioned time? or just drop em by?

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:34 am

Charlie, whtchya make? Go galvee steel? About time we had some real buoys out there! You go boy!