How many kiters with fifth lines get tangles after unwinding

Reunite gear with owners here.
liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:01 am

dewey wrote:5th?? I don't think it's any harder than 4 lines. What tangles?
I find that my 5th line setups are signifcantly* slower and a bit more tedious (*although not by much) to untangle, lay out and setup than 4 line.

I noticed the increased speed and ease of setup and was so thrilled when recently setting up a 4 line kite for a while. I have been using 5th element bar/lines from North for several years (now '06 Vegas') and also was recently using a 4 line SS TurboDiesel (12m which I don't use anymore and is available). But, I agree with Dewey, the 5th line is not a problem.
liv2kitesurf
BayAreaKiteboarding 1st enrolled member ! (besides host)

F-one Bandit 7.5, 9 & 11m
6'0" yellow custom quad surfboard

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/B ... dingShotsI

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:49 am

Here's how I did it:
Roll out down wind, first- comb the 2 outside lines only (steering) and attach, RUN back to kite and pull bar back tell lines are streached. final pass- take the remaining 3 lines- comb and connect. RUN back- dbl check and launch...
It's funny how just adding that one line line can get you (everyone) all fouled up,
Limm

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:43 am

For someone who comes to the beach with their wetsuit under their work clothes to save 5 minutes, I don't think I can deal with that extra 3 trips back to the bar. This will be my big issue with getting a rebel if I like it's flight characteristics. But as far as the girlfriend goes, we swapped the nasty snag line for some new slippery dyneema and i think that will significANTYLy lube the whole proccess.

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:59 pm

windhorny wrote:For someone who comes to the beach with their wetsuit under their work clothes to save 5 minutes......
When I first read this I thought you were dis'ing me (but on closer inspection I realize 1) you were talking about yourself and 2) you probably don't know me). While I DON'T recommend this technique to anyone else, I have learned how to put on my wetsuit on while driving to the beach from work, also to save a few minutes in the waning windy minutes of the day. I am pretty good at this changing feat and feel like I can do it while retain nearly complete control over the car. I have had to take off my suit a number of times because the wind died at my destination. Anyway, untangling the North 5th line is not that bad and only takes about 1-2 extra minutes compared with 4 lines.
liv2kitesurf

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:16 pm

Heres my two cents on the fifth line. Yes, it was sort of a pain at first but it is so worth it to have while kiting. Just for the fact that it makes self landing at Berkeley soooo easy now and saves my kite from getting thrashed. Here is how I do it. I first roll out my lines and then waclk up and detangle the back steering lines. Then I take the two depower lines and the middle fifth line and straddle them. BAsically I put the two depower lines on each side of me and the fifth line between my legs. This has been the fastest way. The kite boarder mag had an ad for a new line manager and method to roll up your lines that looks much easier. Cheap too. I may give that a try. =D>

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:00 pm

Unwind your lines, put a weight on the bar. Go back to to the end and pull the lines taut and shake them a bit. Sometimes after doing this you can separate a few(sometimes all) of the lines right there. If you can set a few lines aside, this eliminates them from helping tangles appear "out of thin air". If you can't separate them completely, at least untangle the ends and get them as loose and separate as possible...this really helps when you walk out the lines. If it looks like walking the lines out is beginning to produce tangles, I stop and just pull one line out at a time, beginning with the outside lines. Surprisingly, this is much quicker than dealing with the tangles during the walk out....and usually once I grab the two outside lines out of the mix, I can easily walk the center three out.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:35 am

Quote: "While I DON'T recommend this technique to anyone else, I have learned how to put on my wetsuit on while driving to the beach from work, also to save a few minutes in the waning windy minutes of the day. I am pretty good at this changing feat and feel like I can do it while retain nearly complete control over the car."

NEARLY complete controll?? Unless your sitting in T-raffic your compleatly crazy!
I think I'll just stick to smoking a bowl if I'm cutting it that close, at least that was I wont have to explain to the judge WHY I killed some poor communiter...
Greg

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:03 am

Quote: Quote: "While I DON'T recommend this technique to anyone else, I have learned how to put on my wetsuit on while driving to the beach from work, also to save a few minutes in the waning windy minutes of the day. I am pretty good at this changing feat and feel like I can do it while retain nearly complete control over the car."

NEARLY complete controll?? Unless your sitting in T-raffic your compleatly crazy!
I think I'll just stick to smoking a bowl if I'm cutting it that close, at least that was I wont have to explain to the judge WHY I killed some poor communiter...
Greg

I don't smoke, so that is not an option for me. This strategy (which I have wired) works for me (and I have only driven off the road once while changing), but it is not for everybody. Talking on the cell phone and driving after smoking a bowl or a beer (don't tell me you never do that) are also slightly more risky than driving without these. I take full responsibility for my actions (and I do agree it would be tragic to mess up someone when trying to get a kiteboarding fix on).
liv2kitesurf

solarburn79
Joey
Joey

Line Manager

Post by solarburn79 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:32 am

Someone mentioned it in the post earlier, but i purchased a line mangaer and have liked it the last couple of times i have used it. I read the review on ikitesurf.com and it sounded good. $40 for 2. But since most of us have at least 2 bars its not a problem.

Good: it does save time. I have watched my setup time compared to others at alameda and found that after blowing up my 17 - which takes longer than most, I can be ready to launch first by haveing my lines already untangled and on the bar.

The bad: First off you have to take it on the water with you. when you are putting your kite away, you want it in your hand when you start to wind up your lines. There is a new version that has a clip built in, but i found i can clip it easily onto myself. Also, it takes practice. I practiced at work. Paint cans and a LARGE cement warehouse with a clean smooth floor. It takes a bit of time to trust that when you take the lines off the bar, they will be right, and the first couple of times i got it wrong.

The line manager was built for 4 or 5 line kites. I just leave the 5th notch empty as I have 4 line kites. It might be something to look into for the cronic time saver (like me). But you do have to take it with you on the water.

Kevan -

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 am

I think I had a dream last night that none of my lines were hooked up right. No matter what I did they remained tangled. I would land it, fix it and it would still be tangled. I think I am just jone's-ing for some wind. If no wind comes up this afternoon, I am going to setup my kite and watch it float downwind in front of me just to get wet and pretend.

Hey that could be a new downwinder race. "Kites on the water, get set, go!)