05 Wind Wings at 04 best prices

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dewey
Old School
Old School
05 Wind Wings at 04 best prices

Post by dewey » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:29 pm

I just found out this morning that Windwing has all their 05 kites on sale until the begining of next year. All kites come with the safe bridle system to allow almost 100% depower. 3 kites for less than $1800 with a bar and line set. Solid kite. Can't wait till spring to post a review of the new quiver.

Dewey
Dewey

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:53 pm

Dewey,

Check around to find reviews of the kites. 5th line setups look to be the depower method of choice for 05 and are very effective as well; why have any kind of bridle system if you don't need to? But it could also be said, why have a 5th line also....

I really don't know much about them as I've only ever seen or two around the bay here, let us know how they work out for you.

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:33 am

I watched the demo video windwing demo video

It seems to be similar to the recon system but a little more simplistic.

go here for some better pictures of the S.A.F.E. system.

Yeah Dewey I'd like to know how it rides too. I'll wait for your review.

Blair

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Windwing kites and the '05 market...

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:52 am

(BTW, here is the link: http://www.windexpress.com/FeaturedProducts)

Chances are very good that these kites are solid performers. What Windwing is doing also validates what Best has been doing with it's kites for last 9 months or so. Now, with Windwing, and who knows, possibly others in '05 following a direct marketing model with fairly priced kites, people can no longer call bullshit and dismiss Best kites as being "cheap". Everyone now knows the kites are durable and perform great.

The attitude is still prevalent among dedicated riders of Naish, SS, RRD, etc. that the Best kites are not in the same class, when most of what separates them is price and some of the features of the other kites, some of which are valid, some of which are hype (various depower systems, one-pumps, recon, split-strut, etc.) In '05 reality will be hard to ignore, and the scale of economics will influence the market. How will Windwing affect SS and Caution, two other West-coast kite companies? Will people lump these kites with the Best kites claiming foul?

Ultimately, a 2005 X20 Split-Strut Recon One-Pump Type Infinity will not help a poor rider and a good rider will rip on a 2001 Airblast. The brand-loyalty can be strong and it seems like everyone feels their kites are the ones to fly. Everyone has opinions and, of course, everyone is entitled to them. Kites as a whole are getting better, everyone has different riding styles and budgets, so how can there be a kite that is hands-down better than any other? In the end, we as consumers, can only benefit.

My Disclaimer: I originally chose Best kites, because, I, being of Dutch descent, prefer not to ever have to spend more money than I need to. Quality is, of course, important, but I don't want to spend more needlessly for it if I don't have to. A full quiver is needed, so I've been happy that I had that option available to me.

Anyway, here's a little comparison:

2005 Windwing Outrage II in sizes 14, 10 and 8 = $1,344.00

2005 Best Yarga in sizes 13, 11 and 9 = $1,348.00

Not bad, virtually identical pricing with their respective promotions. They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee. If they can offer the same excellent level of customer service as Best and the kites are solid performers, it would be hard to go wrong with them either. Windwing has been around for a long time and doing kites for a few years, so it'd be hard to imagine giving what they've set out to do that they would try and sell kites that didn't perform well.

I'm interested to see what happens.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:28 am

This, of course, explains the wooden shoes, the tulips and your finger in the dyke (oops, I mean dike). :rolleyes:
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:37 am

Yeah, hahaha, you're so funny.... The Dutch have kind of a bad rap for being thrifty, but much of the legend is valid.

For instance, it is claimed jokingly by people of other than Dutch descent that the Dutch invented sopper wire by fighting over a penny. To Dutch people, that is not a funny joke.

Also, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to place an ad for a second-hand item, sell it, and perhaps receive additional calls for the item, explain that you've already sold it, yet still be subjected to questions regarding all the details, so the interested party could find out if they had, in fact, missed out on a bargain.

But as they say, "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!"

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:27 pm

Maybe I should have mentioned my heritage and the joke wouldn't seem so racist. One-half German, one-quarter Irish, one-quarter D....
(suffice it to say I was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan and my grandma's maiden name was Bos). Certainly explains my excellence at beer drinking.

Ever notice how damn hot the girls from the Netherlands are?
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:12 pm

fearlu wrote:Maybe I should have mentioned my heritage and the joke wouldn't seem so racist.
You bastard. I'm still mad.
fearlu wrote:One-half German, one-quarter Irish, one-quarter D....
Oh, well, it's OK, then.....:P

fearlu wrote:Certainly explains my excellence at beer drinking.
Pound for pound, I may be able to offer a level of respectability matching that of yours. :)
fearlu wrote:Ever notice how damn hot the girls from the Netherlands are?
Repeatedly. All the time. Makes me wish my parents never immigrated.

zgur
Resident
Resident

hot women

Post by zgur » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:44 pm

Love those hot women....bring em' on.....

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:50 pm

There are only two thing I can't stand, people who have no tolerance for other races....and the Dutch."

Austen Powers
Dewey