kite recomendation

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
swerv_on
Contributor
Contributor
kite recomendation

Post by swerv_on » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:13 pm

so if u have already read my other post im a wakeboarder switching over to kiteboarding for a while due to getting run over by a jetski, i have sucured a practice kite that my neighbors that i have been playing with and have decided im going to go with the sport. so basicaly im going to use a modified wakeboard that has low rocker to save money cause i am on a budget cause im a teenager. and i have been looking at kite on ebay and cause of my limited knowledge on winds conditions and currents i need a recomendation on a kite. i weigh 145 lbs. and im 5'9" and ass i said im using a low rocker wakeboard so i have minimal drag but wont be nearly as little as a kiteboard and until i get to between beginer and intermidate i refuse to buy a board incase i decide that kiteboarding isnt for me, also i plan to be riding out at the berkely marina as a starting point, so any ideas are welcome, currently im looking at a 12 m naish boaxer, and a 10 m slinghot fuel, any recomendations on sizes for my size and those conditions off the marina would be great

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Well to start you should really get a kite specific board to learn on. You can get a cheap one on ikitesurf.com classifieds. A wakeboard is not designed to be used with a kite. It can be done but it's not very fun nor easy. The 12m and 10m should be good for Berkeley but Berkeley is not a good place to start. Being a wakeboarder you probabaly want to stay with a med aspect kite like the boxer and fuel. Get some time in at Alameda and a 12m is perfect to learn on there. Berkeley is very dangerous for a beginner because of the rocks and the freeway and on shore wind. I was the same as you being a wakeboard convert and thought it would be much the same but kiting is a lot different and there is a lot to learn as far as safety, wind, edging, right of way on the water, tacking, jumping, powering and depowering, the power zone, launching and landing etc. hope this helps. Be safe out there. It's one extreame to the other. Hit by a wave runner or lofted into a tree. I have seen people launched into a tree twice in my five years of kiteboarding.

D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: kite recomendation

Post by D » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:13 pm

swerv_on wrote:also i plan to be riding out at the berkely marina as a starting point, so any ideas are welcome, currently im looking at a 12 m naish boaxer, and a 10 m slinghot fuel, any recomendations on sizes for my size and those conditions off the marina would be great
No one starts out at Berkeley. Try Alameda or 3rd ave first. Unless you want your new kite torn up on the rocks.

You need more than 12m at Alameda. At 3rd, the 12m and 10m are a good call.

Good luck!

swerv_on
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swerv_on » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 pm

well cool thx guys i thought berkely cause its closest to me and i can get rides there no prob daily from my neighbors but ill start at alameda. i thought that berkely would be good launching over on the beach by the old dump site, last time i was there i saw no rocks and though it might be a good starting location. also i have alot of sailing experience so im familiar with right of way taking wind conditions, but i fall short as far as safety goes and when it comes to powering and depowering with a kite i have no idea how to do all that so obviously at a high wind location with rocks it would be very bad and ill have to agreee with you pipedragon getting launched into a tree is not good neither is getting hiot by a wave runner anyways hope to see you guys out there soon, any other sujestions are welcome

Britt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Britt » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:21 pm

Your probably familiar with Liquid Force coming from the wakeboarding background. They make a nice bow kite, which I would recommend for someone starting out kiting. Complete depower and easy relaunch when learning will shorten your learning curve greatly. Also, bow kites have a greater wind range which will get you more days on the water with only one kite. A 12M bow has an effective range of 10-14M. Kitewindsurf shop in Alameda will have demo's (12 and 16M) to fly in a few days. The Liquid Force boards (WLF, Mission, and Drop LTD) are available to demo right now.

swerv_on
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swerv_on » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:48 pm

ok personaly i have lots of experience with liquid force having rode for them but i cant emphesize enough that i have very little money to do this because im a teenager below 18 and i dont have a job so while buying nice equiptment would be nice im stuck having to buy sub 200 dollar kites that are used and no buying a board so but if i get some money together ill take that recomendation on a bow kite cause i havent found a used one for less than 400 bucks

Britt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Britt » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:53 am

Ya', your not going to find a used bow for under $200. Feel free to demo the LF gear when you get things dialed a bit anyway. Have fun...