Training kite

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
Urge4Vert
Joey
Joey
Training kite

Post by Urge4Vert » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:29 pm

Ok, so I went and did what everyone keeps saying over and over 'get a training kite'. So, I got one and I've been flying it. I can park it in the sky, fly it with one hand, fly it with my eyes closed for about 15 seconds. Fly it laying down, fly it laying on my back. Fly the figure 8's, fly it to the edge of the power zone and back. Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I've only flown the kite now about 4 hours, if that. And its been in about 5-15kts of wind. So, now what?

The kite I have is a two string, and I'm greatly frustrated. This teaches me nothing about relaunching a kite when I'm on the water. Nor from what I understand does it teach me anything about depowering the kite (except flying it straight up overhead).

So, am I just a quick study because I've been windsurfing for years? I doubt it the way everyone talks on here about how hard it is to learn to fly the kite. What other excercises should I be doing or trying to get myself into shape for my first lesson?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kev

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:39 pm

There were several posts just a few months back about what you need to do with a trainer kite to really ready yourself for the water. Search back and you will find a wealth of info.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

michael
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by michael » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:56 am

Hi Kev,

I was exactly in your shoes about 2 months ago, and completely understand what you are going through right now. I couldn't make a transition from a trainer kite to a big kite, even after taking lessons with Kite Wind Surf. I raised the issue at this forum but still didn't get a good advice.

So I did some research, and discovered 2004 Cabrinha Simulator. It is a 2m trainer kite that looks exactly like a big kite. It is inflatable, has 4 lines, and ALL other features of a regular C kite. It is THE best trainer kite because it teaches you everything you need from the beginning - landing, launching and relaunching, powering and de-powering. It took me a couple of weeks to feel comfortable with it, and after that the second (complementary) water lesson with KWS was really great. Besides, this kite has very little depreciation, and you can easily sell it on craigslist.

The store I bought it from is Aquan Sports in San Mateo, http://www.aquansports.com .