More Upwind Newbie Stuff: Getting Enough Speed

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
robertovillate
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robertovillate » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 pm

elli wrote:You talk about the 05 or the 06 with the flexible tips?

How is the session, as good as the bigger ones?
2006 Spleene 159x42

I have not tried the Session yet.
Roberto Villate
PASA Kiteboarding Instructor
cel 847.477.2976 (after 7PM is best - or leave a message)
http://kitemare.com/roberto_villate.htm

Rascal
Contributor
Contributor

Apparent Wind

Post by Rascal » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks for all the assistance with this post. Really appreciate the feedback.

It finally clicked Ö and I admit to feeling a bit dumb for not having clearly seen this earlier: if after your first power-stroke you lock the kite in at 11, it may not have enough power to get your moving fast enough to go upwind and you will stall if you edge too hard. However, if are already moving fast and then lock the kite in the same position, it will have enough power.

The reason for this is that the power the kite exerts is a function of BOTH where it is in the window, AND how fast you are ALREADY moving (apparent wind).

So the key is to get moving by using a few swift power-stokes, and then to lock the kite in once you have your speed up.

Many thanks,
Rascal

robertovillate
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Apparent Wind

Post by robertovillate » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:16 am

Rascal wrote:Thanks for all the assistance with this post. Really appreciate the feedback.

It finally clicked Ö and I admit to feeling a bit dumb for not having clearly seen this earlier: if after your first power-stroke you lock the kite in at 11, it may not have enough power to get your moving fast enough to go upwind and you will stall if you edge too hard. However, if are already moving fast and then lock the kite in the same position, it will have enough power.

The reason for this is that the power the kite exerts is a function of BOTH where it is in the window, AND how fast you are ALREADY moving (apparent wind).

So the key is to get moving by using a few swift power-stokes, and then to lock the kite in once you have your speed up.

Many thanks,
Rascal

Yep, you got it!

The type of board also can make a big difference, some go upwind better than others due to the shape, rocker, flex, etc.

Another little trick, in low powered conditions, (something I bring from my windsurfing days): It's hard to describe, but if you can make yourself "light on your feet" so that the board can plane more easily it will help keep your speed up. (anyone else know what I'm saying here? - if so please explain in your own words)
Roberto Villate
PASA Kiteboarding Instructor
cel 847.477.2976 (after 7PM is best - or leave a message)
http://kitemare.com/roberto_villate.htm

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:23 pm

You make yourself light on your feet by allowing the kite to pull you up slightly. If you do this in higher wind, you get jacked off the water, but in lighter wind it just lightens the load on your board. It feels less like you are pulling against the kite than balancing with it. Obviously you can't edge as hard this way, but edging too hard kills the power.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.