So I'm going to buy a trainer kite...

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
chrisf776
Joey
Joey
So I'm going to buy a trainer kite...

Post by chrisf776 » Mon May 29, 2006 6:58 pm

Hello Everyone. After months of seeing people kite board out at Ocean Beach I've decided to give it a try. I've decided to get a trainer but I'm not sure which. I'd like to be able to use the trainer kite for a while (i.e. snowboarding or mountain board/buggy) and maybe even get the feel for a 4-line kite. I've narrowed down my choices to 1) HQ Beamer TSR 3.6 2) Best 3M 3) New Tech Ballistic 3.6 4) HQ Rush 250 in that order. Anyone have any recommendations or tips? I weigh 160 lbs so I think I might be able to go with a smaller kite. I'm not sure where I want to fly the kite yet, but I was hoping to be able to do it in golden gate park somewhere. Also, if anyone has a used trainer, feel free to send me an email at chrisf776@yahoo.com .

Cheers,
Chris

-One more thing...my 100 pound girlfriend wants to try out the trainer kite too, if i get a 3.6 m kite will she blow away?

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Kitewindsurf in Alameda has a version of the newtech 3.6... come check it out... i use mine to kite skate

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Mon May 29, 2006 7:56 pm

I recommend getting a typical 2 line 2m trainer for $99-$129 (it may come with a video). you will be able to use this for a long time as a simple trainer - to learn to fly, to learn to loop, to learn to fly with your eyes closed, to allow your friends and relative to try, to fly in storm winds. I would not recommend getting anything fancier or bigger than this. A small simple kite is the idea of a trainer. Getting 4 lines or a bigger kite defeats the simplicity and safety of a trainer.
liv2kitesurf
BayAreaKiteboarding 1st enrolled member ! (besides host)

F-one Bandit 7.5, 9 & 11m
6'0" yellow custom quad surfboard

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/B ... dingShotsI

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon May 29, 2006 8:08 pm

liv2kitesurf wrote:I recommend getting a typical 2 line 2m trainer for $99-$129 (it may come with a video). you will be able to use this for a long time as a simple trainer - to learn to fly, to learn to loop, to learn to fly with your eyes closed, to allow your friends and relative to try, to fly in storm winds. I would not recommend getting anything fancier or bigger than this. A small simple kite is the idea of a trainer. Getting 4 lines or a bigger kite defeats the simplicity and safety of a trainer.
Except that a 4 line kite offers relaunching and a safety system.. Besides... what better way to get used to a 4 line kite than to learn on a 4 line kite..... KWS has a 2.2m 4 line kite that costs $99 when you sign up for a lesson..... If you find tha the 4 lines are too much to manage... just remove the brake lines, and fly it as a 2 liner..... At least with this kite you have the option... with most 2 line trainers, you can not convert to 4 lines....

with a 2 line, each time your crash, you need to go to the kite and reset it, sand it down, and relaunch..... With a 4 line, you just pull the brake line and it reverse relaunches.....

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Mon May 29, 2006 8:18 pm

andyandmarlys wrote:
liv2kitesurf wrote:I recommend getting a typical 2 line 2m trainer for $99-$129 (it may come with a video). you will be able to use this for a long time as a simple trainer - to learn to fly, to learn to loop, to learn to fly with your eyes closed, to allow your friends and relative to try, to fly in storm winds. I would not recommend getting anything fancier or bigger than this. A small simple kite is the idea of a trainer. Getting 4 lines or a bigger kite defeats the simplicity and safety of a trainer.
Except that a 4 line kite offers relaunching and a safety system.. Besides... what better way to get used to a 4 line kite than to learn on a 4 line kite..... KWS has a 2.2m 4 line kite that costs $99 when you sign up for a lesson..... If you find tha the 4 lines are too much to manage... just remove the brake lines, and fly it as a 2 liner..... At least with this kite you have the option... with most 2 line trainers, you can not convert to 4 lines....

with a 2 line, each time your crash, you need to go to the kite and reset it, sand it down, and relaunch..... With a 4 line, you just pull the brake line and it reverse relaunches.....
I am convinced. The 2.2m 4-line trainer sounds good !
liv2kitesurf
BayAreaKiteboarding 1st enrolled member ! (besides host)

F-one Bandit 7.5, 9 & 11m
6'0" yellow custom quad surfboard

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/B ... dingShotsI

chrisf776
Joey
Joey

Post by chrisf776 » Mon May 29, 2006 9:16 pm

My main concern with the smaller kites was that I wouldn't be able to use them snow kiting as well. I've never snow kited, but I love snowboarding so I figured i might as well get a kite that can act be a trainer kite this summer/fall and a snow kite this winter. My main concern with the 3.6 M Beamer was that a beginner couldn't handle it and my girlfriend (100 lbs) couldnt fly it safely. The thing is also 300 bucks shipped. Anyone think its worth the extra cost and complexity?

Thanks for the replies btw.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon May 29, 2006 9:19 pm

Seriously, go to KWS and check out the 3.6 NT trainer... I think it costs 219... If the wind is light, anyone can fly the 3.6..... Above 12mph, the KWS 3.6 starts pulling pretty hard..

Mark my word.... One of these days, you are going to see me out at Alameda kiteboarding on the KWS 3.6....

Kyoufuu
Joey
Joey

Post by Kyoufuu » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:06 am

A few days back I rented a NewTech 3.6 from KWS for about 4 hours and had a great time with and returned a few days later and purchased a brand new one. I got the kite up, no problem, and then I realized the brake lines were not tied. The kite kind of hung there and then it leaned to the right and I countered with a left tug on the bar, and then the kite went in to a clock-wise death spiral and finally crashed down. After spending some time tying the brake lines on I thought I was set and would be good-to-go. But the same thing happened, the kite got up and then it just spireled clock-wise to the ground. After many more attempts I decided to pack up where I then found the INSTRUCTIONS that came with the kite.

The instructions stated that the culprit is most likely uneven line lengths. Question? Can someone suggest what the problem would be and how to correct. Thanks a bunch in advance.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:02 am

If the line lengths look the same, they are probably not causing a spiral... Check to make sure there are no tangles in the bridle... To me, this sounds like the culprit.... Spefically, check the right side of the bridle near the wingtip...

Also, your brake lines should be loose when flying... not tight at all... try attaching the brake lines further down on the brake bridle pigtails...

Kyoufuu
Joey
Joey

Post by Kyoufuu » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:22 pm

Thanks Andy.....

You were right, the line on the r. wingtip was not connected plus I had a bunch of tangles which the guys at KWS, tyson and wit(?), spent a lot of time helping me with.

I was a happy person once I had the kite up. I hope to sign up for lessons soon pending my progress with the kite.

Thanks again and thank you guys at KWS