GK Sonic help / tips for beginners

Hook up with other kiters, share rides, or find a kite mentor & speed your progression.
Forum rules
Use "Group Notice" when posting/responding to notify interested kiters!
Proparoo
Regular
Regular
GK Sonic help / tips for beginners

Post by Proparoo » Tue May 09, 2006 7:38 pm

I have an 11m Sonic and after a couple of failed attemps flying this kite on my own, I finally got help from the GK rep.

If you find yourself in need of some beginner "tips" regarding launching and flying control (especially in low winds) of this kite, feel free to give me a call as it will be much easier for me to tell you than to write a long description.

Today we took it out (on dry land) to check out the rigging and to help show me how to fly it. We did it in only 6 - 8 mph!

Now I know how to "make it work" and look forward to many happy sessions on my new baby.

As it is sometimes better to get "tips" from another beginner, give me a call and I will be happy to help "guide" you through what I learned today.

Oh, by the way, thanks Lightwave Dave, you ROCK...

Rich
916-296-5778

fatih
Joey
Joey

Post by fatih » Sat May 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Rich;
I am a newbee as well and planning on buying Sonic 11. Do you recommend it? How is the ease of relaunching? Thanks. Fatih

KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Sun May 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Fatih...you should really take a look at the Waroos also...Evan at Live2kite can be a great help....I bought a 9 and a 12 from him and my face is hurting from all the smiling...

Really easy to fly, really safe and user friendly (better price too, you can almost get 2 Waroos for the price of the Sonic)
RRD, Mystic

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Sonic's the Schizzel

Post by Proparoo » Tue May 30, 2006 6:34 am

Well, I finally went out late last afternoon and had the best time I can immagine on my Sonic 11m

After learning how to make it work in lighter winds I had absolutely no problem with it in any way.

I was at Sherman and went with Nat at Edge Kiteboarding for a downwinder around 6 pm in pretty light winds. Thanks Nat, great boat, great instruction and service.

On the beach most of the guys were on 14m and 16m kites. When I got to the beach 4 miles up wind I was confident I would not have enough wind to actually get up on my board as it was blowing around 12 or 13 mph. But once I launched I got up almost imediately and even went in both directions across the river!! Please understand, this is kind of a "milestone" for me.. remember the first time you actually got up and rode? It was great and I even went up wind part of the time.

Anyway, the thing I liked the best was I never once got "dragged" out of the water, when I fell or the kite powered up, I would just sheet out and all the extra power was gone. Never once did I feel "out of control"

As far as relaunch, I dropped my kite 3 or 4 times and never had to wait more than 30 seconds for it to turn over, work it's way over to the edge of the window and up it went. Again I would sheet out and I wasn't even pulled out of the water one bit.

One of the relaunches was what I guess is called a "Hot" launch directly in the power zone, after sheeting out I still did not get dragged at all...

So all in all I had one of the best times I can remember and I am totally stoked with the Sonic.

Fatih, my friend "Marujo" (above) is reccommending the Waroo and I know why, he has only had great times on it and it works well for him. I had a chance to fly it on the beach at Alameda and liked it. That was the day I could not get my Sonic going in light winds, but after this last session, I must admit I can't imagine a better kite that is safer, relaunches better, flys in lighter wind and de-powers better than the Sonic 11m. :mrgreen:

Feel free to call me if you want more info. 916-296-5778

Rich
Rich "ATOM" Baum