Can someone help me break down the cost of getting started?

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
andrew
Joey
Joey
Can someone help me break down the cost of getting started?

Post by andrew » Fri May 26, 2006 4:22 pm

What I've managed to glean so far is $400 for a 6 hour intro course and another $1200 or so for equipment...is that about right? Is there a cheaper way to get going? I've been riding waves all my life and have dreamed of kitesurfing ever since it surfaced yet, wazowgas, it's soooo costly to get going. I guess what I'm seeking is some help in figuring out how I can do this for a cool grand. Am I the only who is not all daunted by the cost (and I know it's an investment...) the beginner faces? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri May 26, 2006 6:24 pm

Dude there is really no way around it. You're just going to have to rob someone.
Here is the Cheap route:
Lessons $400 (don't skimp here!!)
2 Used kites complete 12m and 16m Alameda sizes $800 to $1200
or
1 bow kite complete 12m or 14m $900 to $1400
Harness $70 - $120
board used 136++ $300 -$400

If you already surf then you have a wetsuit.

I'd say about $1800 to get going. You may be able to find deals out there on used stuff.
I'm going to sell my kites from last year for $250 each, but they are not really beginner kites. I am also selling my UG FLX with new pads and straps for $300.
So deals are out there. The prices I posted are just average prices on ikite.

Good luck
Dewey
Dewey

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Fri May 26, 2006 6:41 pm

dew
what size U.G. flx..?
charlie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Fri May 26, 2006 9:12 pm

It's the 04 132
Dewey

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sat May 27, 2006 6:48 am

Pretty soon the kite companies will realize that if they give everyone one free kite to start, they will hook alot more people.

Kinda like the dealer giving away free needles.

Oh wait, Best and WW already did that last year.
Paul

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat May 27, 2006 9:58 am

The cheap route has some minor problems....

Used kites dont proform as well as new kites (but still VERY fun).
Used kites cost less to obtain but "can" be costly to maintain.
THe same is true for boards but will not be nearly as big a hinderance on your learning curve.
Lessons are highly over-rated! And all this "spoon-feed" kiters are starting to give this (EXTREME) sport a bad name. (Mind you:This is comming from just another total retard that generally throws away the instructions before assembling ANYTHING).
You could take your surfboard and just toss a kite out there and figure it out like I did. Its REALLY not that hard to kitesurf. (keeping yourself or your gear off trees/city streets/ etc may be a little trickyer)
Frankly, I kind of think all this safty stuff is way over blown (but I also thought my hospital bills were over blown too). Get this, some brainy-act once told me that if I'd just had on a "helmut" ($50) it could (would) have saved me from a trip to the E.R. ($3500). My responce was if "God had just finished the job, I wouldnt have had to pay S%$#!". I didnt think he felt he got threw to me, What do you think?
With all the money that could be saved we could paint the town red,
L.M.G.

andrew
Joey
Joey

Post by andrew » Mon May 29, 2006 7:12 am

thanks for the comments
Dewey, can you sell me your one of your kites? Or if anyone out there wants to help me out I've got cash and extra karma-points for you!
andrewmclester@sbcglobal.net

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Mon May 29, 2006 8:01 am

I have two kites for sale on ikite, they are both last year's ww rage2s, very good beginner kites. However, I think you will only be able to use the 17m, the other is an 8m. Let me know if you like that and I'll make you a deal.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon May 29, 2006 12:37 pm

Go get yourself a bow kite. They relaunch humorously easy. They have huge range which will enable you to go out in powered conditions and not freak about getting overpowered. thats good enough right there, but you also only really need 1 kite. I weigh 170 and my 12 turbo diesel and 2 boards does the trick.

Lessons $250-400

Gear $2000 (new.)

Endless amounts of fun $Priceless!

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon May 29, 2006 10:02 pm

Helmut $50.00