I've taken some lessons, but have holes in my knowledge

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
thereza
Joey
Joey
I've taken some lessons, but have holes in my knowledge

Post by thereza » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:07 am

I've taken about a week (3h/day) of lessons down in buzios, brazil. I can get up ok, and can go upwind -- however, there are some key things that I didn't learn such as going left, turning, saftey, etc. This is mostly due to the language barrier (the instructor knew like 15 words of english). I live in SF and would prefer lessons closer to the city. I have a trainer, and a 9.5M 2 line kite I bought for fun, but I need to buy a full rig as well.

Any suggestions for a good school (key factors include a flexible lesson plan, price, and location). Also, what's a good place to shop for a full setup (booties to kite).

Oh, and I learned under high-wind conditions on a small, slow moving, 2-line kite (5m) with a huge board.

Thanks,
Reza

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Don Bogardus » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:56 am

Check Boardsportsschool.com in Alameda.
Alameda is the only place in the bay where you can
hone your skills to be able to go kite the other great
spots in the bay.
Suggest a whole spring and summer season riding, and
partying with the great crew there! :)

thereza
Joey
Joey

Post by thereza » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:46 am

Why them over other schools? Any thoughts about the school down in San Mateo? Also, it seems people are saying that buying online is significantly cheaper than local shops. How true is this?

Thnx,
Reza

clints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by clints » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:24 pm

I suggest you check out the location where the school teaches and where you'll going to be learning/kiting often and see if you're comfortable with the location. You can get info for the all kiting spot in the bay area from this site.

As far as gear, if you're planning on getting used ones, I've bought kites from the classified section of www.ikitesurf.com.

Good luck!
-clint

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Reza,

I recommend Edge kiteboarding. Nat (owner/operator) is a great teacher. It sounds as if you don't need much instruction. Nat would and does stress safety. For instance if you can't do self rescue you don't move to trying to get up on a board. One of the most laid back guys you will meet. He spends the winter in Mexico (tough life) teaching then comes up to Rio vista for spring/summer/fall. Sounds like he is going to be ready in about 2 weeks. call him at 775-721-1132.

Good luck,

Blair

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:21 pm

Check out the reviews here online. I think you will find many good schools. I am biased, but think that Kitewindsurf offers the best program in the area. We offer C-kite, or Bow Kite lessons, are JET SKI BASED and are able to go anywhere in the Bay that there is wind. We are based Centrally in Alameda, and have about a 95% success rate in finding wind for lessons. Additionally KWS offers the most events and activities in the Bay Area, so that after your lesson, you can easily become part of the larger community.

Andy

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:09 am

I must agree with Blair as I too would recommend Nat at Edge Kiteboarding.

I took lessons from him this Winter in Baja and really liked his method and maner. Safety first....

Good luck.

Rich

Rich
Rich "ATOM" Baum

northgrl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by northgrl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 pm

I agree with Don.
However, for safety and skill improvements, i'd check out Sandy and DOnny up at Sherman with Kitopia...I learnt most everything from them and they were great...Sandy is especially strict on safety and makes sure you understand everything about the kite..
There are so many good schools though, so its hard to choose..

bayardo8
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bayardo8 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:41 am

i have nothing to say but good things about the guys at kitewindsurf in alameda. jeff and crew are knowleable nice people who will help you out with lessons, equipment and they are right there in alameda!
manuel