Skyline Snowkite Masters

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
KillaHz
Resident
Resident
Skyline Snowkite Masters

Post by KillaHz » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:33 pm

Foiled again!
Best shows up for the Skyline snow kite masters and shows the foil riders why the Waroo rules in the snow.

On Saturday, March 25th the Best snow kite crew arrived at Skyline to a scene of a couple hundred cars and kites flying all over the place. The wind was light and variable but the forecast was calling for nuking, 35 knot winds. We were all looking forward to getting on our small kites but the wind did not seem to be cooperating. It was light, gusty and changing directions - a far cry from the nice, steady conditions we had been riding for the last few days. So we pumped up our 20 meter Waroo and a few 16 meter Waroos. By the time we were pumped up, all the foils had fallen from the sky and our rider on a 20m cruised to the top of the hill and began to send it. He was having so much fun, he coaxed a few of us out on 16's. The wind steadily began to build and the rest of the riders joined us out there for some fun.
Andy Hurdam riding a prototype 2007 11m Waroo Pro with Cuben fiber leading edge.
As the day progressed, the winds built but were still a bit all over the place. As the winds would gust or change direction, we watched as the foils did some pretty disturbing things like tie themselves in to knots and drop to the ground. The Waroos stayed up all day and even as the winds came up to where some of our riders were on 9's and 11's some of us stayed on 16's. The Waroo has so much range you really can ride whatever size you feel like riding. Our team impressed many on-lookers and riders alike. The Waroo's never got a break as any time we put one down, someone was eagerly awaiting a ride. Everyone who got a ride was blow away by the Waroo's range and performance. A common statement heard by people who tried them was, ìman, I always heard that you had to fly a foil in the snow. I guess that's not true. I'd rather be on the Waroo any day.î So if you have previously bought into the myth that you need a foil to fly on snow, guess again. The Waroo is here for summer or winter. Try one out or just ask someone who was there.
Check next week for some killer photos and video at
Best Kiteboarding snow
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:15 am

Gabe,
How is the launch and relaunch on the snow compared to the Frenzy? Is it a one-person launch, or do you need someone else helping
Paul

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:22 am

Pablito wrote:Gabe,
How is the launch and relaunch on the snow compared to the Frenzy? Is it a one-person launch, or do you need someone else helping
Paul, the relaunch is much easier on the Waroo than a Frenzy. While the foils are easy to relaunch if they fall in the correct position, I know we have all experienced the bow tied foil and the resulting relaunch attempt can require getting out of your bindings, walking to the kite, unwrapping it, laying it back down and then walking back to your bar.

The Waroo is an easy relauncher. Just rock it back and forth a bit on the back lines and it will catch, spin over and launch powered. As soo as it leaves the snow, you just sheet the bar out so you don't get pulled too hard. You're up and away.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:33 pm

Gabe,
I talked to Gibbles today and he said Kafka was going big, jumping the road etc....
Sounds like you guys had a great time!
I look forward to seeing you again come time for Shermin,
L.M.G.