Tahoe Snow Kite Laughters

Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
Yoda
Resident
Resident
Tahoe Snow Kite Laughters

Post by Yoda » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:03 pm

CALLING ALL SNOWKITERS!!!

Let's all try to meet up and have our own Snow Kite Laughters, yes I said laughters as in Snowkiting & Beers = Laughters. This weekend is looking good, but its short notice I know. It would be a good warm-up for those heading to Skyline next week. I have a couple of kites if anyone needs one and 2 trainers for the newbies. I know a few of you will be at Martis - I'm down for there if its good, or we could head to Rose as well. Please respond soon with input on this idea and when and where to have it. CHEERS

gideonlow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

South Lake

Post by gideonlow » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:33 pm

I'll be kiting in South Lake this weekend . . . Luther Pass, Hope Valley, maybe above timberline at Carson Pass. We'll see where it blows. Freshies from both the lifts and the wind . . . Yahoo!!!!!

Gideon

FiCHA
Joey
Joey

Post by FiCHA » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:25 am

Hopefully i will be at martis on Saturday... but maybe i will go snowboarding in squaw valley...

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:35 pm

I hope you all caught the joke - Snow Kite Laughters (as in Snow Kite Masters). Anyhow, I hoping to ride with some of you this weekend. I looking to hit Truckee/Rose on Sat and HopeV/Carson on Sun. Gideon - are you riding Sat or Sun? What's the wind forecast? PM me if anyone wants to hook-up. Its On!!! Don't forget Beer!

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:18 pm

Well I headed toward Truckee and saw no wind as I left the valley. Sac was windy, but the wind stayed there. I exited 267 toward Martis Meadows and saw no kiters, no wind, and somewhat questionable terrain. I decided to head to Mt. Rose Meadows. The drive up turned into a snowstorm and driving got sketchy. I made it to the meadows, but sadly the wind was barely up - 1-3mph? I waited around and noticed as each little squall of snow fluries apporached, the wind kicked up. I pulled my 10m out and launched for slow paced session for as long as it was snowing. When the sun came out the wind died. I did this for almost 2 hrs., so I got a combined ride time of maybe 30 minutes... alot of work for not much kiting. However when it was going I had some good moments that were well worth the wait. I'm debating about tomorrow, I may go watch the Blue Angels fly at the Sac Air Show... now thats some serious flying!!!

FiCHA
Joey
Joey

Post by FiCHA » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:46 am

well today i was snowboardng at sugarbowl.. but tomorrow i hope there will be some wind at martis...

Maybe i meet some of your guys tommorow

gideonlow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

South Lake winds

Post by gideonlow » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:13 am

Yoda wrote:I hope you all caught the joke - Snow Kite Laughters (as in Snow Kite Masters). Anyhow, I hoping to ride with some of you this weekend. I looking to hit Truckee/Rose on Sat and HopeV/Carson on Sun. Gideon - are you riding Sat or Sun? What's the wind forecast? PM me if anyone wants to hook-up. Its On!!! Don't forget Beer!
I checked out hte SL spots Saturday after riding Heavenly, including a hike up from Carson Pass, and ZERO wind everywhere :(

This morning I'm going to drive up to Kirkwood and pray for some wind along the way. If it's only blowing over the ridges I'll snowshoe up from Carson Pass to timberline, otherwise it will have to be the lifts at Kirkwood. There could be worse compromises :)

I can be found on the Motorola radio channel 12/20 or on Mobile at 415-516-1499.

Gideon