La ventana this winter, anyone?

Want to plan a kiting trip? Just got back from one? Post you experiences, questions and information here.
bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
La ventana this winter, anyone?

Post by bdawg » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:43 pm

Ok it's cold here in norcal already, its depressing :( So to make it all better I wanted to take a trip to La ventana mexico. I was hoping that I could encourage at least one other person/group/couple into going so we could split the cost of taxi or rental car. Let's talk on when you'd want to go, i'm flexable. I was thinking 10 days would make for plenty of kiting. :D Also i am aware of the yahoo group "ride2ventana", i just wanted to try here first. What say you?

Blair
Attachments
kiters.jpg
this could be us.
kiters.jpg (12.38KiB)Viewed 12995 times

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:45 pm

Always a possibility.... I could likely only do somewhere between 5-7 days if I were to go.... What would the expenses be?

Ollie

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by bdawg » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:39 am

Sweet Ollie. I'd be willing to go less days then what i was planning for to fit in with your schedule. I punched up some flights for the end of january and found a non stop on mexicana to sjd (cabo san lucas) from sacramento (smf) for just under $400. I was planning on staying at bajajoes ( www.bajajoes.com ) in one of the bunks for $30 a night. I don't really require 4 star accomidations. I think the whole trip would easily be <$1000 especially if it was for only 5-7 days. We could also leave from sfo for a little cheaper price I'd be willing to do that if I could ditch my car at your place. Let me know how this sounds?

Any other takers?

Blair

yummer
Joey
Joey

Post by yummer » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:52 pm

Me and a friend are heading down to La Ventana from Nov 24-30. Flying from SFO to SJD and planning on renting a car for 7 days. We've already reserved lodging at Baja Joe's as well. How does that fit into your schedule?

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:58 pm

Blair, when is it you're thinking of going? I'm pretty sure it would be January before it would be feasible for me to go. As it stands now, I'm coming back from a week on Kauai tomorrow, and am going to Maui for a week December 9, so I gotta keep it reasonable and earn a living too....

Ollie

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:38 pm

Yeah, keep it reasonable. South Padre last month, Kauai this month, Maui in December and Baja in January. We feel your pain, OG.

I wish my wife thought that was reasonable! :wink:

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:42 pm

Oh, I almost forgot your likely to be planning on Costa Rica in February and the Dominican Republic in March. Then, it's back to the local routine. Poor YOU!

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:00 pm

yummer,
That really sounds sweet. And i'd be willing to split the cost of the rental car but I punched up flights for those days and it is over $100 more than if I go in january (probably because of the shorter notice??). What flights are you taking down there? non stop? arival/departure times.?

Ollie,
I was really planning on the end january. I am tempted to go with yummer because I am told november is awesome in la ventanna. But it also would be nice to save $100 on the flight going in january.

I have to S___ or get off the pot.

I'll have to sleep on it.

Blair

bdawg
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

sorry i didn't log on for the last post.

Post by bdawg » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:02 pm

Anonymous wrote:yummer,
That really sounds sweet. And i'd be willing to split the cost of the rental car but I punched up flights for those days and it is over $100 more than if I go in january (probably because of the shorter notice??). What flights are you taking down there? non stop? arival/departure times.?

Ollie,
I was really planning on the end january. I am tempted to go with yummer because I am told november is awesome in la ventanna. But it also would be nice to save $100 on the flight going in january.

I have to S___ or get off the pot.

I'll have to sleep on it.

Blair

yummer
Joey
Joey

Post by yummer » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:58 pm

Blair,

I think the airline tickets are more expensive right now because of the short notice... my friend and I were able to pick tickets up for about $510 round-trip, direct from SFO to SJD about 3 weeks ago from Alaska Airlines (the cheapest non-direct flight was about $75 less). The same flight is now priced at around $800 on www.alaskaair.com :(.

I checked www.americawest.com and found that they have a flight (with 1 stopover) to/from SFO/SJD for $455 plus taxes (which will probably be a grand total of around $570 or so).. the arrival time in SJD on the 24th is 1 hour later than our flight (2:25pm vs. 1:26pm) and the departure time from SJD on the 30th is 2 hours later than our flight (4:15pm vs 2:16pm).

Let me know what you think (check your private msgs for my email).

-yummer