kite size for Bay Area

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
katkite
kite size for Bay Area

Post by katkite » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:07 am

Hello,

I am buying my first kite, and moving to San Francisco - just wanted to see what would be a good size kite to get for the Bay Area, and for a beginner (my weight is 135 pounds).

Thanks!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:08 am

7, 8, 9 or 10 should do it. If you're waiting for warmer water to learn, go a little bigger, if you're starting in the spring, a little smaller. You will certainly need more than one kite eventually. Take your instructor's advice after your lessons too. Yes, LESSONS!

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:40 am

I would say a 12 is the gold standart for the bay. If you plan to go out the the pacific the smaller will be fine.

But take lessons first and decide afterwards for the right size depening where you plan to go out.

CU then, K

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:52 am

Knyfe is right (partly) since everybody I know has a 12. But, hey guys, do we really want to recommend a 12 to a beginner, spring-wind learning, SF (Crissy?) rider at 135 pounds? (I say buy your smallest kite first, then move up to the 12 later on). Smaller is safer and easier to learn on IMHO and I weigh 260 so... think "safety". Too many casualties of late.
Go bigga'

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:07 pm

ok, probably we should add:

- Start at alameda with a lesson. Best place for beginner in the bay!

- dont go out in Chrissy field (closest to SF). Its nothing for beginners. Gutsy like hell, strong currents and BIG ships. Taxi service sometimes avaiable (coast guard)

- Be careful and respect the strong laste/early year winds.

Otherwise I still think 12 is a good size.

Stay safe, K

... you are right, I thought this year I can spare out the 12 and went from a 14 to a 9. Now, at the end of the season I came back to the 12 ...