Windreels Volume One - Review

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:42 pm

Featuring riders Dimitri Maramenides, Damien Leroy, Andy Hurdman, Julie Simsar, Cameron Dietrich and Antoine Joubert riding locations in Florida, Puerto Rico, Greece and the British Virgin Islands, this video is a fresh departure from the kiteboarding video genre. You won't find drunk kiteboarding kids behaving badly in between sessions or loud thrash metal soundtracks, but rather a tightly edited feature showcasing the smooth, powerful style of these riders backed by a great, original soundtrack by Rey Reason.

The trailer alone which can be downloaded here is sufficient to get you psyched up to go riding, and demonstrates the quality of the riding, editing and music in the video. Check it out.

Florida - West Coast

The format is pretty cool as a hosted video magazine. KillaHz's Gabe Brown hosts the video which starts out on the West Coast of Florida with riders Damien Leroy and Andy Hurdman. The spots are killer; nice flat butter water and plenty of wind. The style of these two riders is very smooth and fluid. Definitely inspirational. As with many talented riders, they come across as pretty humble, but they rip.

Puerto Rico

Next is Puerto Rico with Cameron, Dimitri, Damien, Julie and Antoine. The spots rip, the waves are off the hook and the riding's awesome. In between riding is some commentary and background info from the riders, so you get to know a bit about them also. Shacks, a Secret Spot, Jobos, Tacones & Gas Chambers - all world-class spots hosting these world-class riders.

Greece

Dimitri is then featured in footage of him riding in Greece. Who wouldn't want to kite there? Throughout the video, Dimitri is probably the funniest one, hands down. And he'll kick your ass wrestling too. His Blind riding and Board-Offs are particularly noteworthy and huge.

Florida Lifestyle

The next segment is all about the Florida lifestyle with more commentary from the riders and some surfing, fishing, wakeboard and motocross action. Again, hurricanes aside, I think these guy know that they've got it pretty good.

British Virgin Islands

British Virgin Islands are simply incredible. Looks like paradise to me. The water is clear and aqua and the scenery amazing. Big winds and slick riding come through again here with some footage of the parties and girls too. I think Neil Hutchinson of X-Rated Kiteboarding who hosted this trip is a bit of a pervie, but who can blame him. He looks like one anyway... If you're rich, this is where you might consider moving to. Off the hook. These riders are really so lucky to be able to travel to these kinds of places and ride.

Matheson Beach Park

Finishing up at Matheson Beach Park in Florida, another killer flat-water riding spot we get to see yet more of Leroy's and Hurdman's slick style as throw more huge tricks and plenty of their signature blind riding. And this isn't some hard to get to far-off spot; this is the local park!

All in all, it's a great video to watch and the format is a nice change from the mainstream kite videos. The video will keep you entertained from start to finish. I give it a thumb's up and am looking forward to Windreels Volume 2.

Windreels Volume One is available for purchase online at www.1cps.net.

Oliver Govers
Bay Area Kiteboarding
Last edited by OliverG on Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:23 pm

Ollie,

Your review is amazing!

I guess all it took was a rainy day to get you to sit down on the couch and watch it.

Thanks man,

Gabe
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:31 pm

Gabe,

Thanks, my pleasure. I had already watched it a couple times, but to sit down and write it up is another thing. Let me know if you know of any paid gigs for reviewing kite gear and videos, I'd be happy to help and I'm always fair. :)

Ollie

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:49 am

I propose video-night at Ollie's house. He cranks up the home theatre, we bring excessive amounts of beer. Ethanol is a poor substitute for wind but it's better than nothin'!
Go bigga'

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:17 pm

fearlu wrote:I propose video-night at Ollie's house. He cranks up the home theatre, we bring excessive amounts of beer. Ethanol is a poor substitute for wind but it's better than nothin'!
As the winter sets in, I think it may be a good idea to do a WindReels party. We are considering doing a party in SF, drinks, raffles, prizes, movie and lots o fun!

How many people would be interested in attending a party like this? It would proabbly be in the next month on a saturday night.

Please respond here if you would attend something like this.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:15 pm

Good plan. I think the Pyramid Brewery in Berkeley does some special interest movie nights-- I (sort of) remember one with the motorcycle crew when the racers were in Sonoma. SF somewhere would work too, or Wasson's warehouse...
Go bigga'

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:59 pm

fearlu wrote:I propose video-night at Ollie's house. He cranks up the home theatre, we bring excessive amounts of beer. Ethanol is a poor substitute for wind but it's better than nothin'!
Hmm, I'm all for it, but would have to check with the wife. :roll: Hehe.
Beer is a poor substitute for wind, but they do work well together, with the beer afterwards, of course.

Pyramid would be an awesome spot. The beer and food is good, and as we're all die-hards, we could turn the outside into the beer garden for a late Oktoberfest. They have the screen there, so videos could be shown.
I'm sure there are other suitable locations as well, but the main thing is that I'm sure lots of people would be into it. Last year, there were a few Kite night's at Chip's, which was fun, but it's asking a lot of him to always host events.

I'm in.

Ollie