Help w/ 5th Line tech

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
scatmandu
Contributor
Contributor
Help w/ 5th Line tech

Post by scatmandu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:20 am

Hi everyone...I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice. I just purchased a new kite that I will be learning on. It is complete w/ 5th line tech and all, but I do not have a suicide leash to connect from my harness to the 5th line. Where can I get oneÖor is it feasible to just make one? If it is, what type of connection should I use? I realize it has to be some sort of a connector that can be disconnected under load if necessary. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks
Scat

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:48 am

There are many of them out there. I just bought a slingshot one, and like it alot. Don't try to make one. If it fails you loose your kite. You could pick one up between $20 and $40. Just make sure it has a release if the sh!t hits the fan.
Dewey

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 am

Ya if it fails to hold you loose your kite....
but if it fails to release under pressure, you could loose your life....

not a place to try and save money.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Should we be concerned about the name of this item... suicide leash? For some reason I can't seem to build up the desire to acquire such a product. (I'm guess I'm just gettting too old for this progressive style, eh?)
8-[
Go bigga'

scatmandu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by scatmandu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:10 pm

Hey thanks for the input. I went with the Best leash, because it was the cheapest...and the Best, I guess. I'm much less scared of dying than I am of getting old(or going broke). Thanks again.
Scat

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:42 pm

Trust your life to the lowest bidder................. Just kidding...but no really.
Dewey

scatmandu
Contributor
Contributor

Post by scatmandu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Hey, I'm in the military. I trust my life to the lowest bidder everyday on every piece of equipment I've got. Hopefully my kite flying experience will work out better than our latest military endeavour. Thanks for your advice and concern for my health, though.
Scat