Female Northern California beginner looking to mooch

San Francisco Bay Area kiteboarding lessons, learning and support.
Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:16 pm

I would go to texas...but then well I would be in texas j/k.

Kitewindsurf is kind of logistically my front runner--but I would like to learn from someone I can go get a burrito with after. I like to pretend they are a friend, I know it sounds funny but sports lessons are hard for me I get nervous. I am not saying they are not nice, I dont know much about kitewindsurf. But Donny seems really nice and cool.

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kite Size;

Post by Don Bogardus » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:45 pm

:) If you weigh 100lbs, a 7 meter kite is not the one you should buy if you only will have one to start, and Alameda is where you will spend most of your learning time.Reccomend a good (modern) 9 or 10m as your first kite. Alameda has mostly light wind for the vast majority of the season, and while you may have to sit out stronger days, you will get the MOST use out of a larger kite, (and miss FEWER days, than if you only had a 7m).Also on good strong days, often it is lighter early and then again later toward sunset.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:30 am

I dont know if ti interests you but I have a 8 meter rhino that is still crisp. meaning it has been used about 10 times at the most. I am selling it for $250. I live in alameda also so if you want let me know and i will bring it by sometime. LMG is right about the bows, they are all good though. LMG is Naish happy so of course he a little biased. The only down side to the bows is the cost. but as far as buying one kite goes, thats it. I weigh 170 and it covers me from the 8mph day to the 30+ day-no exaggerations. And that is a 12 turbo diesel if you were curious. You should get really comfy on the trainer kite, take a lesson and then make the commitment after you get the "kite" bug. And afterwards I'll even get a burrito with you!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:50 am

consumer wrote:not even a contest, sandy and donny are the kings of teaching. The only problem is that they may not be teaching this year, which is why i did not recommend them earlier.

If they do make it out, you scored.
I remember Donny talking about that, but do you think it's true? If it is then what about Gabe and Micha? They started giving lessons at Sherman last year. Are they going to be back?

Ollie is right. Sherman is still a few months away. Kitewindsurf is the place until then.

Snacks- you won't have to worry about pretending to be friends with the instructor, we are all friends in this sport. It's nothing like surfing. You'll see what I mean.
Dewey

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:31 am

they are coming back to the area to kite for the summer and spring(i think late or middle spring), but as far as teaching goes they say they are done with it.

But if you want to ask my optimistic side i think they'll be back, haha.

;)

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:38 am

I hope so. Will they get regular jobs? If so they'll start teaching in a couple of months.
Dewey

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:50 am

Well if he they are not doing it for a living maybe I can pay him in food j/k.

It is just a let down to get back home and have to wait around for lessons to start. But I can always watch and play with my little dinky kite.

This is how my dog feels about my kite----
Attachments
scoop.JPG
scoop.JPG (47.73KiB)Viewed 9896 times

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:39 am

This girl is a regular at Sherman
Attachments
Prue1.JPG
Prue1.JPG (556.53KiB)Viewed 9887 times
Dewey

Snacks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Snacks » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:12 am

we should make our dogs race!!!!

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:54 am

she won't run, she'll just sniff and lay around. Unless there is food around.
Dewey