Winter snowkiting topics and locations.
FiCHA
Joey
Joey
Snowkiting in Truckee

Post by FiCHA » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:26 am

Hello everyone,

At first: Sorry for my bad english!
I will travel to Truckee in middle of March. Will there be enough snow for snowkiting?
I don't know if it is worthwhile for me to take all my stuff from germany to truckee, if there is no snow. I guess the water temps for Kiteboarding are to low?

Thanks for your help!!

It would be nice if you can give me some hints where i can go snowkiting in truckee. I've already read something about Martis Creek.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:47 pm

I don't know about the snow in Truckee at that time, but bring your gear to kite if you are going to be in the Bay Area as chances are pretty good for wind at that time...

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:01 pm

I had high hopes for Martis this year. I've been up a couple of times and there has never been much snow, saw a single kite in the air once.

Snow has been pretty poor this season.

Assuming conditions don't improve down low, you might be able to go to higher elevations. I'd ask again closer to your trip to see if anyone can report on conditions...

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:42 pm

Colorado and Utah have good snowkiting, and you can fly there cheap from here. There are events in March 11 in Colorado and March 25 in Utah. Chasta will be in Utah, so this is your chance to learn triple kite loops :)

If you think about snow kiting in the bay area, I think its better to focus on downhill ski or water kiteboarding. You have better chance with those than snowkiting. Bring a thick wetsuite.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:54 pm

Oh, and you can check here

http://www.magnifeye.com/

It has an image near Highway 80 in Truckee. There are also links to view live government traffic feeds. Truckee scales (about the same elevation as Martis), Kingvale (which is on the west side of the summit) and Floristan (East of Truckee, near California / Nevada border, lower elevation like 5000 feet)

You'll want to look at these during day light hours, time zone is Pacific/PST.

Tsch¸s

FiCHA
Joey
Joey

Post by FiCHA » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:28 am

Thnx for information! And what is about Kitesurfing in the bay? I will also stay in Los Gatos, where are good spots for beginner?

Fruthermore I'm searching a shop where i can hire or buy a kiteboard

mfremont
Contributor
Contributor

RE: snowkiting in Truckee

Post by mfremont » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:16 am

As others have noted, we haven't had much snow on the ground in Martis Valley this year. We've been in the warm sector of many of the storms, resulting in rain in Truckee and snow higher up.

We had snow Tuesday (after a day of heavy rain with snow levels over 8000ft), and the next couple of storms through next Tuesday are forecast to have low snow levels. The snowfall predictions keep on changing with every model run, but if we do get a couple of feet of snow out of these storms, then Martis might be kiteable next week.

I haven't been up to Mt. Rose in a couple of weeks, but since the elevation up there is about 8800 ft, there should be plenty of snow. The Mt. Rose meadows are about a 35 minute drive from Truckee.

I live in Truckee, so if you want an update just before you leave, feel free to contact me.